Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 30th March  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 30th March
« on: Tuesday 30 March 21 23:41 BST (UK) »
Didn't do a lot today, I'd overdone the gardening yesterday and the back of my shoulders and neck were aching, felt tired too. I took advantage of the weather and sat in the garden reading and talking myself out of doing any gardening. I did put some paint on a pot, quite a small one compared to the huge one I recently painted. It was a bit breezy so it didn't feel as hot in the garden as the forecast temperature led me to believe but nevertheless it was very pleasant.

Met J at 5pm for our weekly walk, it seemed to be warmer then than earlier, the wind had dropped. We walked down to the coast road, there were people out walking and running, a couple of men were fishing from the beach. I think it will have been busy during the day, I read later that the lifeboat had already been called out to two children.

Another nice day forecast for Wednesday although not as much sunshine then unfortunately back to cooler temperatures on Thursday.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday 30th March
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 00:04 BST (UK) »
Looks like I’m up first today...

As promised the weather was beautiful from the start... I’d had quite a disturbed night... blessed moon shining really brightly ...
Lounged around in pj’s for a while until it was time to shower and hair wash... can’t believe how long and thick it’s got... can’t wait to get it thinned out and cut into a style of some sort...
I’d started to write to my cousin and then I thought I’d give her a call... we had a lovely chat and she seems to be coping well... C had been poorly for most of last year and in hospital where she couldn’t visit him so to have him at home for his final days she said was a great comfort... I said I thought it unlikely we’d get down for the funeral as of course can’t go anywhere afterwards and lot of driving in one go for OH ... she sounded a little disappointed and I felt dreadful... we’ve left it open for a couple of weeks to see if there are any changes.... could take an Airbnb overnight but will see.... her son lives in London but daughter and family in Devon..
At 12.30 we wandered up the lane to our friends behind us and sat in their garden in the sunshine... how civilised and enjoyable to be doing something which you used to just take for granted! It was nice for the chaps to talk man talk and for us the usual chatter!
We had a bottle of Prosecco to celebrate our new found freedom and then a lovely lunch of chicken and salad and a refreshing dessert along with a nice bottle of rose! Not driving home so all good! By the time we got home it was about 4pm... lots of catching up was done!
Message from a neighbour re the motor bikes... oh yes they’re back in full noisy flow again... she wondered if OH had phoned the police as when she was talking to them it suddenly all went quiet... eh. No he hadn’t as we’d been out...strange that should happen almost like some had told the bikers... same happened numerous times last year!
As a result of meeting last autumn a post has been put up for an ANPR but no camera so far... local councils job apparently and our councils have just been reconfigured so could take a while!
OH phoned to complain yet again....
I sat out in the sunshine (24C) in shorts and T shirt listening to my audio book... thankfully with ear plugs in but could still hear bikes roaring up and down!
OH went out to get some more bits for the fence and on return said he’d seen two police cars... no bikes by then..
We didn’t bother with dinner just couple bits of toast...
Whilst watching tv OH had a call from our local PCSO re bikes.... her hands are tied, she can’t arrest anyone, got no clout... police not doing anything... can’t use speed gun as it’s a B road... 😱😱 feels more like Brans Hatch!
OH told her after putting up with this for over 20 years gradually getting worse he said enough was enough and if nothing was done he would go to newspapers and media! Fighting talk indeed....

Retired early after what has been an enjoyable.. mostly.. eventful day

Enjoy the sun tomorrow as last days before we’re back to winter temps again 😢

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 30th March
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 00:07 BST (UK) »
Glad you had a nice relaxing day in the sunshine reading... and an enjoyable walk with J... I’ll bet the beach was busy...

Looks like, for the first time in a while, we’ve posted at the same time again!

Shall I ask mods to merge?

Enjoy the warmth tomorrow...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 30th March
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 00:24 BST (UK) »
Oops, yes please Caroline.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday 30th March
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 00:29 BST (UK) »
 Oh dear, it makes you wonder what laws are enforceable!
Why does “ authority “ pussy foot around these people?

Glad you had a nice day,lovely here too so drained the fish pond and put fresh water in ,it has an oxygenator which bubbles so felt it was safe to return the fish after a few hours.
Had some nice chats over the fence , a big Staffie said “ Hello” Ozzie.

Added to the Tesco order , killed a vine weevil!
Uncovered the garden bench and table ,hung the cover in the line inside out to be fully aired before packing it away for the Summer.
THEN, saw the weather forecast!
Phoned re  the Captain Sir Tom  roses, was told to soak them for a few days then scratch away a bit of bark and if fresh green underneath they are OK.

Well after midnight so off to bed, cheerio and take care everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 00:36 BST (UK) »
Your lunch date sounds lovely Caroline, even better to have such a warm day for it. Seems like you've become a rat run for the bikers, very frustrating when the authorities are unable to do anything.
Can't believe I didn't spot your diary post when I wrote mine, I obviously didn't look properly.  :-[

A busy day as usual for you Viktoria, I hope your rose bush recovers.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 01:44 BST (UK) »
Had some good news today, OH can book his vaccine, open to his age group now, I am not that much younger, but didn’t make the cut off.  He couldn’t get a spot though, guess he will have to keep trying.  There is a town half an hour away where we could go too, might be an option.
Other than that, not a great day, didn’t sleep well last night. Usually this happens about once a week but also did not sleep well Friday night, finally went back to sleep but woken up by dog being sick at 10 to 6.  This happens rarely, thank goodness, and he was so sad about it.  Fortunately it was on the floor and not the bed!  We have wood floors so not a big deal, really.  Later OH made bacon and eggs, his and the dog’s favourite of the week, was just setting it out when he (OH) knocked over a small glass of milk. A few choice words!  The day did get better after that.  We even saw his daughter and her husband briefly, as they dropped off a meal and goodies for his birthday (early).
Weather here has been up and down, warm today, about 18 c, but yesterday morning there was snow on the roofs and in the edges of the yard, windy too.  Tomorrow getting colder again. Nice to see the lawns greening up, though, and the daffodil leaves coming out.
Cases are up here and we have gone into more strict conditions.  Premier of Ontario is threatening another lockdown, not sure if he will actually do it.  They had postponed spring break for students and might postpone it again.  Guess they don’t want people travelling.  Schools have had relatively few cases but the university students in this region are driving some of the spike in cases.
Still working on the same jigsaw (difficult but enjoying it) and same novel about Elizabeth I.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 06:04 BST (UK) »
Tuesday was the first day of our three day lockdown. There were a couple of new cases picked up over night. I have to admit that I like the peace and quiet of lockdown - fewer cars and fewer people out and about.

Despite the restrictions I continued on with the day as planned - picked up some groceries for my father on the way to visit him. Despite the panic buying on Monday, the shelves were well stocked.

Usual dog walk and non eventful evening.

I can understand your frustration with the bikers Caroline - it must be tempting to want to take things into your own hands. It sounds quite barmy in your neck of the woods.

Good to hear that you saw off the vine weevil Viktoria - I find it quite satisfying removing pests from my plants.

I shouldn’t smile Diana, but I did when I read about your dog waking you up being sick. I know that feeling. It’s a huge relief when they don’t do it on the rugs or carpet.

Weather here is becoming slightly autumnal. Cooler nights but days are still warm. A few grey clouds around. Quite pleasant.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 08:12 BST (UK) »
So lovely to be able to enjoy a warmer temperature, at least in England and Canada. I reckon days are never very cold in Oz, regardless of the season, though the nights can get a bit chilly it is true.

I hope your roses are ok Viktoria... you must let us know the result of the scratch test later.
H bought a bunch of 10 red roses as there were no daffodils. I trim the bottoms a little every day, and they last very well. Such velvety petals and a rich deep colour to them. Really spectacular.

Went for a walk with 2 friends along the front. 
Bought a coffee from the kiosk, and then tipped the whole cup over whilst taking off my jacket.  ::)  It was gorgeous sitting on the wall and looking out over the water.
3 ships in The Bay and a couple of paddle boarders went out to get a better look, but as the sea was flat and little breeze I guess it was safe enough.

Walking back I saw the air ambulance and read later there had been a medical emergency near where we had been sitting, though probably after we had left the area.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.