Author Topic: Looking for Florence Banks. Mile End Old Town  (Read 1235 times)

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Florence Banks. Mile End Old Town
« on: Wednesday 31 March 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of a Fred or Frederick Steggles Banks and wondered whether anyone had any idea where else I could look for his family – it’s complicated! He was born 14 Nov 1895 as Frederick Steggles Banks at the Queen Charlotte Hospital and baptised a month later at St Marks, Marylebone Road. I have confirmation of this.

His birth certificate states that he was s/o Florence Banks, who gave her address as 4 Gardom Street, Bromehead Street, Commercial Road East. She gave her occupation as Asst Mistress, National School of Mile End Old Town.

Fred then appears, aged 5, on the 1901 having been adopted by Bessie nee Banks, aged 30 and her husband Henry Riggs, aged 29, living in Derby. (RG13/ 3217/ 71/ 35). I know about his life from 1901 and that he was adopted by them, legally or otherwise.

However, this is where it becomes complicated. Family legend has it that Fred was born to Florence, Bessie’s sister. If that were correct, then Florence would have to have been Bessie’s sister in law given the surname.

Bessie married in 1892 and I’ve checked out her family who lived in Somerset. Her parents were John and Ann Elizabeth nee Daubney. The family appear on all the census returns, but there’s no sign of a Florence. (1891 census - RG12/1918/ 131/ 11).

There was a Florence Banks born c1867 who lived at 21 Zion Square, Mile End Old Town, in 1881, working as a vellum sewer, with her mother, Mrs Martha Banks nee Martin, a widow. (RG11/ 473/ 56/ 43). On the 1871 census Martha and Florence were ‘visitors’ at Martha’s parents home. I have found Martha’s marriage in 1865, to James Joseph Banks, they were married at St Leonard, Shoreditch, Hackney.

I have a death certificate for Martha who died just after the 1881 census return whilst in the Mile End Workhouse, but it confirms her address as 21 Zion Square.

Obviously, I need to try to prove or disprove that the Florence I’ve found was Fred’s birth mother and ideally what became of her after the death of her mother and after the birth of Fred. She simply vanishes into thin air.

I have checked the 1891 and 1901 census return for the address she gave when Fred was born and there’s an Ellen and Florence Clark living there (RG12/ 302/ 24/ 44). I’m beginning to wonder whether Florence Banks was a lodger or whether for some reason she was actually Florence Clark but recorded as Banks in hospital and the other Florence Banks at Zion Square is a red herring.

When LMA reopen I’m planning to get a copy of Florence’s patient records for Queen Charlotte’s hospital, which might provide more useful information.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please, as to how to proceed please? I’ve hit the proverbial brick wall with this!

Many thanks BG :)
Murden - Warwickshire & Nottinghamshire
Bower - Nottinghamshire (mainly Newark)
Crowder - Mansfield Nottinghamshire & Devon
Price - Newark,  Nottinghamshire
Ingleton - Skillington, Lincolnshire
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Florence Banks. Mile End Old Town
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
If Florence Banks was a single woman when Fred as born, as I'm surmising from the message, I'm not sure why you think she'd be Bessie Banks sister in law?

If Florence was an assistant school mistress she could well be a long way from home. I had a couple of sisters from Northampton who went to teach in west London at around this time. So looking at  possibles locally might not help much.  I have to say some one who's a vellum sewer seems unlikely then to become a teacher.

Have you cast your net a little wider in Bessie Banks' family - cousins for example?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
1891 - 4 Gardom St.

Ellen Clerk    47 - widow b Somerset. Laundress
Florence Clerk    21 umbrella maker b MEOT
Eva Clerk    19
Albert Clerk    18
Ellen Clerk    16
Alfred Clerk    15
Sidney Clerk    12

1901 Ellen and Florence still at that address. Some lodgers now in the house, so Florence Banks may have lodged there. Ellen's maiden name appears to be Carter, so no obvious connection, beyond her being from Shepton Mallet

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mabel, for the reply – please ignore the sister in law bit – I’ve gone around in so many circles that I’ve finally managed to confuse myself (senior moment). Yes, I’m in the process of trying to cast the net wider for someone in the extended family, but no luck so far with finding a Florence Banks who might fit, but I’ll keep going.

I had looked at the Ellen Clarke, which makes me think that Florence was probably just a lodger. I wonder whether there are any records for the National School of Mile End Old Town. I’m slightly hoping the LMA records shed some light on what on earth was going on.

It seems very strange that Florence seems to vanish, so I’m wondering if maybe she married someone else after giving Fred up for adoption. I’m also curious about Fred’s middle name – Steggles. There’s no father named on the birth certificate, but maybe that was Florence’s way of providing a clue.
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 23:09 BST (UK) »
There is an intriguing article in the Bury Free Press 09 February 1895 regarding an amateur dramatics group performing at Shepton Mallet.

The lead role was played by MR. F.G. STEGGLES, another part was played by MISS FLORENCE BANKS.
Mr. Steggles was said to have followed the stage profession before he settled in Shepton, he was born in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.   The rest of the cast were amateurs.

Look at the date of the article and the date of Frederick Banks' birth - 9 months  ;)

I haven't followed up on Mr. F.G Steggles yet but thought I should post this.

ADDED:  They also performed together at The Hall, Shepton Mallet in October 1894.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 21 00:25 BST (UK) »
1891 Census Shepton Mallet, Somerset

Charles Banks   40       Coachman            born Axminster, Devon
Emily Banks      39                                  born Shepton Mallet, Somerset
Charles Banks    18       Stone Mason Apprentice           ditto
Florence Banks    15      Pupil Teacher                           ditto
Annie Banks        12      Monitress (?) at School             ditto
Arthur Jewel   nephew    Gardener            born Battersea, London

This looks a good contender for Florence Banks i.e. a teacher, born Shepton Mallet where in 1894/5 a Frederick George Steggles was in an amateur dramatics group in Shepton Mallet with a Miss Florence Banks.

I would say that Bessie and Florence were cousins.

Florences' father was Charles bc.1851 Axminster, Devon and Bessie's father John bc.1842 Axminster, Devon.

Florence was born Florence Emily Banks born 22/11/1875 Shepton Mallet - she married a William Henry Hall in Dec.qtr.1896 New Forest, Hampshire, a year after she would have had Frederick Steggles Banks.

Being a teacher was easy for her to move around the country which she appears to have done.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Florence Banks. Mile End Old Town - COMPLETE
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 21 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so very much, you've been amazing.

This is brilliant information and just goes to prove how easy it is to take one wrong turn and head off in the wrong direction, as I was convinced Florence was from London.

I actually had her father William in my notes already, but hadn't followed him up. So, yes she was Bessie's cousin who got pregnant by Frederick George Steggles, the photographer. She clearly wanted it to indirectly be known who the child's father was.

Once again many thanks

BG :)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 April 21 08:02 BST (UK) »

Florence was born Florence Emily Banks born 22/11/1875 Shepton Mallet - she married a William Henry Hall in Dec.qtr.1896 New Forest, Hampshire, a year after she would have had Frederick Steggles Banks.

For info. Florence is mentioned on her sister Annie's probate

Annie Eliza BANKS Birth 9 May 1878
Baptism 16 Jun 1878 Shepton Mallet, Somerset
Father: Charles Gill Banks Mother: Emily Jane

Annie Eliza BANKS
of 7 Fosse Lane Shepton Mallet, spinster died 21 Nov 1942 Somerset
Probate 27 Jan 1943 to Florence Emily HALL, widow and Gladys Catherine HALL

Gladys is Florence's daughter

Gladys Catherine HALL mmn BANKS 
1898  D Quarter in NEW FOREST  Volume 02B  Page 671

1901 c Piece:   1050 Folio: 85 Page Number:   20
William HALL   39
Florence E    25 Shepton Mallet
Gladys C    2
George D 10 mths
Eliza A Dunnings   14
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 April 21 08:10 BST (UK) »
Oh fabulous! Thank you so much :)

I've managed to trace Florence from her marriage until her death. She outlived her illegitimate son and died 1966, aged 90, I've found her probate too.