Author Topic: Crushed by a lorry  (Read 922 times)

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crushed by a lorry
« on: Tuesday 06 April 21 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hello can anyone help,or tell me how to look things up in Canadian newspapers.I am looking for a report about an Albert Smith,who was crushed to death under the wheels of a lorry.He worked at a lumber mill.His death was August 26 1940.He was 32.His family had emigrated from England.His wife later gave birth to a stillborn daughter.I found that you can look up Canadian newspapers free,but cant find one for that area.It was Victoria Harbour,Ontario.Thank you Glenys
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Crushed by a lorry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a report in the Globe and Mail newspaper....27 Aug 1940, page 8.   Headline is "Killed Under Truck".   Orillia, Aug 26 - Walking into the path of a truck as it was put into reverse and its direction changed, Albert Smith, 26, of Victoria Harbour, was killed today when he was knocked down and run over.   Death was due to a broken neck, according to Dr W. E. Brown, Orillia M.O.H. who investigated.  There will be no inquest. 

The article goes on to give some more details...the accident occurred at the Duncan Matheson farm near Medonte, west of Orillia.  The driver of the truck, Thomas Morrison, Hillsdale, and two other men with the victim, were in a woodlot, taking out timber for the Copeland sawmill, Hillsdale.   Morrison drove ahead, then shot back in reverse.  Smith, who was deaf, stepped in the way.  He is survived by a widow and two children.

RK

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thats brilliant,thank you,i didnt know he was deaf.There are loads of papers to choose from ,but not the right dates.Thank you both,i need to look up some deaths,i suppose it will be that paper,as they all lived close to each other.Glenys
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 19:00 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for some Orillia area obits, it would be unlikely you would find them in the Globe and Mail.   It would be better to look in a Barrie or Orillia paper instead.   Most obits in the Globe at that time would have been for people who lived in the Toronto area. 

https://www.orilliapubliclibrary.ca/en/books-more/genealogy-and-local-history.aspx?_mid_=2183

https://news.ourontario.ca/barrie/search

RK

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 19:37 BST (UK) »
I did try and look but i have to have a library card,and of course living in England,dont have one!But never mind,i have the report i wanted,so thank you.
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 19:40 BST (UK) »
Actually,they lived Victoria Harbour,so which would be the best paper to look at ,up till 1950?Thank you.
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 05:29 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting the Tay Township Library - Victoria Harbour branch - and see what local resources they have.   They may do lookups??   However, Ontario is in lockdown at the moment, so I am not sure if they will be able to help now.   Perhaps later??

https://www.tay.library.on.ca/client/en_US/tay/?rm=CONTACT+US3%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7Ctrue

The link to the Orillia library that I posted earlier says that they will do research for a fee.   You could email them and ask if they have any newspapers that might cover Victoria Harbour....and then you can decide if you would like to have them do some lookups for you.   Again, you may have to wait, because of the current lockdown situation. 

The link I posted to the Barrie library newspaper collection is free to use (no library card required).   Barrie may be a bit far from Victoria Harbour, but you could have a look for obits/articles...just in case.

RK

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the suggestions,everywhere is closed over here at the moment as well,you have been very helpful,Glenys
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding