Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 6th April - happy new tax year  (Read 690 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 6th April - happy new tax year
« on: Tuesday 06 April 21 23:37 BST (UK) »
After being awake till 3am I ended up sleeping late. Was finding it difficult to motivate myself to do anything, eventually went out for a short walk at lunchtime. It was nice in the sunshine but the wind was bitter.

I didn't do a lot in the afternoon, it was too cold for gardening. Did some dusting etc then made an attempt to sort out some drawers that have ended up as a dumping ground for all sorts of bits and pieces. Got sidetracked by looking at some old photos, managed to relocate or bin some things, I'd had enough by then.

Went to meet my friend J at 5pm for our weekly walk, there had been a snow shower not long before but it didn't lie. We were wrapped up in winter clothes again, complete with hats and gloves, can hardly believe it's only a week since we were wearing t-shirts for our walk. We didn't go down to the sea this week, it was too cold but we could see the white horses from across a field. Enjoyed our walk despite the cold and it did stay dry.

In the evening my friend A phoned, she's been having a rough couple of days but started feeling better and she said our chat cheered her up. Me too.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 6th April - happy new tax year
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 01:31 BST (UK) »
Good to see you are slowly moving out of your lockdown and spring is trying to arrive. Great to read some are even starting to meet up with family members. I only had one lockdown but even coming out of that it has taken a while for me to move back to normal. I do my shopping at quiet times and find myself leaving events if the crowd starts getting too big.
Put clocks back an hour early Sunday morning. Body clock trying to reset as well.
Big news for Australia and New Zealand. Our travel bubble is all set to go at 11.59pm on April 18th. Flights between the two are filling up fast.
Take care
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 06:28 BST (UK) »
Very odd weather there Roobarb. Good that you are still getting out and about and doing chores despite finding it difficult to get motivated. Who can blame you.  ;)

Yes Carol. NZ and Australia are open for business. We’ll see how that all goes. It’ll only take one new case to spoil everyone’s travel plans. Hope it all goes smoothly. I love NZ but won’t be going there any time soon. I suppose much of the travel will be for family reunions.

Tuesday morning I received a text message from daughter asking if I could come over to feed her dog. Her back was so sore that she couldn’t bend over to open the dog food container.  ::)

Luckily she had a scheduled work from home day. At my insistence she booked a doctor’s appointment  - only one available in the afternoon.

I did some tidying up while I was there before heading home. Returned later to ferry her to the doctor. Doctor advised to see how it goes for a couple of weeks, and prescribed an anti-inflammatory.

Much of the day gone by now. Dog behaved on her walk which made a nice change.

Weather cool and drizzly all day again.

Daughter sent me a text message in the evening to say she had slipped over on laundry floor downstairs. It was generally wet everywhere outdoors. Boyfriend had to pick her up. A slight setback as I think her back had improved somewhat during the afternoon. Oh dear.  :(

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 08:44 BST (UK) »
What a nightmare for your daughter Ruskie...... I have been terrified H would slip or trip while he has been suffering again the last few weeks.
It's awful to watch as well isn't it!  :'(

As Roobarb says, we had it really cold again here in the Uk, though right on the South coast we got heavy hail showers, rather than snow. It was only around pudding rice size, but coming down with such force it stung any exposed skin!
Managed a good walk with a friend, though turned inland through the park to Oldway Mansion rather than staying on the beach path, which didn't help a great deal as the wind was not coming off the water.  Some beautiful magnolia in full bloom, but no exciting animal spottings such as Diana had, sadly.
Stopped by the coffee shop where we used to hold the chat meetings, to see if there were any notices up about re-opening. Chap who runs it was in there making preparations to open next Monday, (hurrah!) and he has lots of outdoor space, so we will hope to have a May meeting, though as Carol says, people are likely to be very wary of getting together in groups.
Later managed another quick walk along Goodrington sea front, between showers. Still 2 cruise ships at anchor in the Bay. Nothing else of interest to report.
Last week H bought a lovely scarlet anemone for the little trough on the balcony. We note how the flower petals open and close, but it is not simply daylight related. Must be temperature triggered, as they do not open till a few hours after sunrise, and then close again well before sunset. 
Intriguing to consider how clever plants are!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
I can understand your caution Carol, I'm sure I'll be taking baby steps towards any kind of normality.

Oh your poor daughter Ruskie, hope she's okay.

Good news about the coffee shop MH, I'm visualising the rice pudding showers.  ;D

No sign of Caroline for a few days....
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales