Author Topic: Bell Genealogy - Evidence of Descent from John of Gaunt - Some questions??  (Read 787 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have a copy of the 'A Genealogical Account of the Descendants of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster' by John Gray Bell printed in 1865. The document outlines lines of descent from this gentleman to those of the Bell family in Northumberland.

I descend from Thomas Bell of Knaresdale Hall (born about 1690), who married Ann Wallis on 8th December 1717 lived as a farmer in the Alston area.

I notice there seems to be gaps in this genealogy as Thomas's father seems to be a John Bell of Merry Knowle (or Now) but it is unclear when he was born or who his parents were! The previous people mentioned appear to be brothers Robert Thomas & John Bell all born between approximately 1615 & 1630. In turn their parents appear to be John Bell & Mary Slingsby both born between about 1605 and 1615 (although I cannot find real evidence for these people)!

Can someone please advise where the true ancestry prior to Thomas Bell & Anne Wallis lies? Things seem to get very hazy in the earlier years such that I have grave doubts as to the veracity of the original thesis of descent..

Much appreciated. Cheers Rob

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Bell Genealogy - Evidence of Descent from John of Gaunt - Some questions??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
I think it most likely that the pedigrees were compiled from Heraldic Visitations in the 16th and 17th centuries.  The records are held at the College of Arms.  These were in effect declarations by the nobility and gentry of their lineage to prove their right to have a coat of arms.

The challenge in finding any other evidence can be difficult.  Private baptisms were not always recorded in parish registers, and families wealthy enough to have chaplains would probably only have baptisms noted in personal papers.  Unless family papers have survived in museums or libraries it might not be possible to find evidence of BMDs.  Some names of individuals may crop up in tax records, land sales and leases, histories of significant events, and so on, but these would not necessarily show a lineage.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldic_visitation

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 21 12:49 BST (UK) »
A veritable minefield Rob,I'm descended from the wallis family and can't make sense of who's who!
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
There's a Bell pedigree in the Visitation of Northumberland, 1615, of Bellasis. The youngest John Bell was 24 in 1615.

https://archive.org/details/visitationofnort00sainrich/page/42/mode/2up

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 April 21 07:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Philip/Steve, yes I have been trying to make good sense of it all but cannot see a continuity before Thomas Bell & Anne Wallis. Nevertheless I will not give up the hunt! Cheers, Rob