Author Topic: DNA - A silly question  (Read 728 times)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DNA - A silly question
« on: Friday 09 April 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
I had my DNA taken through Ancestry and have been tracking it through Thru-lines on their site.

I came across two new names of my list for 5 x gt grandparents.  When I click on the male it
says there are 3 matches, but when I click on the female it says there are no matches.  Surely if these are my 5 x gt shouldn't there be matches on both else I do they determine that she is my ancestor.

I'm confused.

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA - A silly question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
The thrulines are taken from other Ancestry trees.

Maybe some of those other trees don't have the names of both ancestors in their trees or in some cases, they will be spelled differently to how you have spelled them which will impact on the match.

You need to go into the other trees to see what is happening.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  That explains it.  I didn't realise that the information was from other trees.  So perhaps the
female is not my ancestor after all. 

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 21 15:12 BST (UK) »
Well that's a possibility but it still could be that the Ancestry algorithm just doesn't match your spelling of the name with how it is spelled in other trees.

You will need to take at look at the other trees and verify their information for yourself.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 April 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Totally agree with pheno

You may also have cousins aunts etc who you know  match your DNA but dont show up on thru line because your match hasn't linked them to tree

My grandad came from a recomposed marriage so descendants of 4 half siblings.would match the father and not the mother .. always worth checking

Handy hint do not write all versions of the name in profile put in the also known function in the facts section

Don't use any punctuation in the name... especially not brackets
 computer gets confused

Add a pic to the profile even if just a flag or cup ...so you can see if copied .

Don't use married name for wife unless maiden name unknown or both have same maiden name .

Don't use titles in a few trees everyone has added Mr to one particular person all copied from each others.trees but new matches won't show unless they tboo put.Mr
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
Sunflower, don't be confused! I have my thrulines insisting my two illegitimate greats have fathers... when checked the trees involved are rubbish  ::) I have messaged the owners of the trees giving them the details of birth and marriage certificates , no reaction at all, so I have given up on thrulines now.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Larkspur,  I agree with you, I have also check trees and a load of rubbish.  Excitement over!

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon