Author Topic: Highway robbery 1843  (Read 553 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Highway robbery 1843
« on: Tuesday 13 April 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
I have found a newspaper article from “Eddowes’ Journal and General Advertiser for Shropshire” which is dated 29 March 1843. It gives details about a case involving Richard North who was indicted for assaulting and robbing a lady named Prudence Parker near Dawley. He was acquitted. This man is definitely related to me but the only problem is there are two Richard Norths in my tree who fit the time and place.

They were first cousins, once removed as they shared a grandparent and great grandparent in William North and his wife Sarah Brant.

The elder Richard North was born 1809 in Dawley and was the son of Christopher and Letitia North. In 1841, he was living in Malinslee with his wife Ann and children and was employed as a miner. He later became a charter master and died at Old Park in 1868.

The younger alternative is Richard North, born 1821 in Dawley, the son of John and Julia North. In 1841, he was living in Malinslee with his parents and siblings. He married Eliza in 1846 and spent most of his adult life in and out of asylums.

Can anyone suggest a way of finding the age or any other details about the indicted Richard?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Highway robbery 1843
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
From ‘England Wales Criminal Registers’ on Ancestry

Richard North, 40 yrs - born about 1803
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, heywood. I’ve just looked at my tree again and the elder Richard was born about 1806 - not 1809. Do you think it’s him?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
I don’t know but there are no others in 1851.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk