Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 13th April  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 13th April
« on: Tuesday 13 April 21 23:57 BST (UK) »
Glorious sunshine again to start the day. Before I went for a walk I checked to see if my car would start, all okay. Reset the clock.

It seemed quite peaceful when I set off for my walk but there was one man with a dog on the field who was bellowing down his phone the whole time he was there. Another man was practicing his golf strokes while his terrier sat there with an 'Are you going to be long?' look on its face. The rubbish was still there at the edge of the woods, I kicked a few bottles into the hollow with the others, at least then they wouldn't roll about. There were a number of deflated balloons, I wasn't fooling myself that they'd been used for decorative purposes.

After lunch I went to the petrol station, can't remember when I last put petrol in my car. Went there via the bypass so I could get my foot down. There was no-one else in the shop when I went to pay. Back home I sat in the sun in the garden for a short time, couldn't really find any gardening to do other than in the front garden and it was too cold there.
At five I went to meet my friend J, it's difficult to know what to wear when the weather is like this. Enjoyed our walk as usual, we didn't go right down to the sea.

Feeling so tired lately, even when I've just got up. Haven't done much today, there's a pile of ironing stacking up. Can't seem to find any motivation.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 13th April
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 05:33 BST (UK) »
I’m not surprised you can’t get motivated to do ironing Roobarb. I can’t remember the last time I ironed anything.  :-X

Glad your car is behaving itself. I found getting petrol a bit scary, even before covid, with all those hands touching the pumps and nozzles.

If you are feeling tired it’s nature’s way of telling you to slow down. There will be plenty of time for ironing and gardening when you feel more energetic, and the weather is nicer.

My Tuesday was a bit warmer, around 30ish in the middle of the day.

Watched “Appropriate Adult” starring Emily Watson - about Fred West. Horrifying. Though I knew a lot about the events, I had no idea that he was allocated an appropriate adult. They had an “interesting” relationship.

Noticed that dog had a peeling dew claw. I got out the clippers and cut off the loose bit of claw, then trimmed the end of the claw. I took too much off and the poor little thing was bleeding all over the floor. It was her walk time and she was asking to go, so I took her out in the hope that it would take her mind off her sore foot. It continued to bleed off and on for several hours.  :'(  To say I felt bad is an understatement.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
Glad you had a glorious sunny day to enjoy while out walking Roobarb. Bit worried about those "inflated balloons" given the amount of broken glass in the area!!  :P   
Well done for gathering the courage to put petrol in your car, and hopefully seeing your friend cheered you up a bit.
As Ruskie says, if you are feeling fatigued, best to be a bit less energetic for a while, till you get your mojo back.

I can imagine how bad you felt about your dog Ruskie..... Years ago I made my canary bleed trimming his claws. I was devastated too.

We had blue skies for most of the morning here. I was out at 08:00 for the weekly grocery shop, and later met 2 friends for a walk. We covered a lot of distance, but very slowly, so it didn't really feel like exercise, but nice to chat.  We sat on a (long) bench with a coffee for a while, it was lovely sitting in the sun.  An elderly chap wandered by and tried the chat up line, "hello, is it the Beverley Sisters?" which made me laugh.
During the afternoon while H was teaching, I popped out and marched the cliff walk up and down a couple of times till I was puffing.
Nothing else worth reporting..... oh yes, 3 cruise ships at anchor in The Bay.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 09:05 BST (UK) »
Roobarb- glad to hear your cars still running ok... I can’t remember the last time I put fuel in my car! I always wear the gloves provided at the garage as Ruskie says all those folk touching the pump!
Those idiots who are making such a mess of your wooded area need their heads banging together... you ought to put a big notice up to say you know who they are and next time you’ll inform the police., that might scare them off if they think people might know them... or maybe not!
Glad you had a nice walk with J...don’t worry about the ironing just do it when you feel like it.. if it’s sunny sit outside and enjoy the rays!

Ruskie - your poor dog hope her paw is better now....still got warm weather I see then!

MH - I’m exhausted by the amount of walking you do! Along esplanades, up hills, round lakes... you put me to shame... but you do have a beautiful area...
So refreshing to meet friends to chat though...

It was a beautiful day when I got up although chilly... after I’d had breakfast we moved the garden table down onto the lower patio as it would make it more sheltered and meant my friend C wouldn’t have to try and get up the steps as wearing her leg splint and crutches wouldn’t be easy!
While I was in the kitchen I saw my three friends coming down the lane with C’s hubbie pushing her in a wheel chair... it looked like a royal procession!
We sat in the sun and had our coffee and cake, it was lovely to just chat... H who lives in SA for six months of the year usually but didn’t go back last October was telling us their house had sold... taken five years! The people buying wanted all furniture, furnishings and even any paintings they didn’t want to keep... had fallen through at the very last hurdle so they were devastated and now back to square 1... such a shame and her hubbie at over 80 has found it particularly hard...such a stressful time buying and selling homes!
Couldn’t believe next door neighbour was out clattering there bins right by the fence! Then I heard her cutting plants... think she was listening to us talking! Really some people...she’s definitely turned very odd ...
It was lunchtime by the time they all left...
After lunch I sat outside and read my book... so lovely didn’t come indoors until quite late in the afternoon..
Dinner was pork chops coated in breadcrumbs with herbs, paprika and Parmesan baked in the oven with vegs...
We had our zoom investment club meeting... only five of us... our friends whose OH is going through chemo had been at the hospital all day so didn’t join and our treasurers wife is now having palliative care so he didn’t join us either... very sad ..it was a quick meeting no shares bought... I’ve a feeling we’ll fold soon...
Watched the new jewellery show... some nice pieces made... one contestant driving me mad already... and the presenter making inappropriate comments... why do they have to do that.. it’s not a show about them! Anyway generally enjoyed it..
Not a day where much was achieved but never mind good to see the sun although if it went behind a cloud you could feel the chill...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 09:55 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you had a sociable and pleasing day in the sun Caroline.
It wasn't quite warm enough for me to sit on the balcony, and there is no room to move in the flat.
I expect you walk as much as I do round your lovely house and garden with 2 patios. :D
Yesterday was a bit mad because I walked to town to meet the friends..... then they wanted a change of route so we walked back to where I live, and then returned to town, for their cars, before I walked home again!! :P
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:23 BST (UK) »
I'll try and take your advice ladies and rest a bit but I do find it difficult not doing much except when I'm ill. Avoiding the ironing is no hardship, I hate ironing!
I sanitised my hands as soon as I'd used the petrol pump yesterday, the gloves they supply are enormous so I find them a bit unwieldy.

Ruskie, you must feel awful about your dog, hope her paw is better today. I've seen the film you mentioned, it was really interesting.

MH, your walks sound great, the sunshine makes such a difference. Good exercise even when it doesn't feel like it, particularly when meeting friends.

Lovely for you to have friends round Caroline, sounds like you've got your very own Nosy Neighbour! You could maybe think of some shocking conversation to have next time!  ;D I wasn't aware of the jewellery show you mention, sounds interesting.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:29 BST (UK) »
I only watched the last few minutes of the jewellery show, which was just enough to see the pieces, but I agree the presenter is as bad as the chap in Sewing Bee (returning tonight).

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
Tuesday, just more pottering at home and more work in the garden to be caught up with after the winter months.
Strangely, I feel a mood swing today from how I felt yesterday.  Today, I feel apprehensive and a sense of overwhelm regarding thoughts of the future.  I think of all that I used to do pre lockdown and I wonder at how I used to fit it all in.  I feel I should be grateful that we are on the track to 'normal' but instead I feel a bit worried today about going from a simpler life to a much busier one and fitting lots of things in.
I didn't sleep well and kept waking up after a series of nightmares.  At around 3.30 am (early Wednesday) am I heard the letterbox go.  Out of curiosity I went down to look and saw that someone has posted a plastic charity bag through the door!  Oh I really dislike this excessive use of plastic and I can't believe that someone is out and about at this time posting.  I wish there was some way to stop all these bags coming through the door.  These must be creating a mountain of plastic landfill all over the place!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 17:24 BST (UK) »
I only watched the last few minutes of the jewellery show, which was just enough to see the pieces, but I agree the presenter is as bad as the chap in Sewing Bee (returning tonight).

Hmm, I might swerve that then.  :-\

RTL, I completely understand your anxiety about post lockdown, particularly with your already busy schedule. There have been so many people on TV saying that they can't wait to get back to normal things, while all it's done is make me feel anxious. I thought I was in a very small minority but have been hearing so much more lately about people who have similar anxieties. I've been thinking a lot about whether I actually want to resume some of the things I did pre pandemic. I realise that you have things that you have no option about whether to include in your life but perhaps you might decide not to include some other things any more. It's difficult weighing up what you find worthwhile and rewarding, I hope you can alleviate your anxieties. 

As for the plastic bags, what a ridiculous time to post them! I get lots of charity bags too, I use them for delivering things to the charity shop (used to anyway...) or as bin bags. I share your concerns though that they still end up as plastic waste.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham