Author Topic: John Mawson 1843- 1929 where are you ?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Johnsonsyard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mawson 1843- 1929 where are you ?
« on: Wednesday 14 April 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi John Mawson 1843 - 1929 born Coxhoe died Sunderland. Have been unable to find the whereabouts of his grave. Any ideas ? Thanx

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Mawson 1843- 1929 where are you ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
Where did he die?  Here are all the areas covered by the Sunderland RD.  He was living in the Durham RD in 1911 if I have the right entry

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/sunderland.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
Was he living in Sunderland or perhaps died in hospital there and his home (and burial) was elsewhere

If you have a date of death I'm happy to look and see if there was a death notice in the newspapers which may tell you which cemetery, but they are not always easy to search (OCR is often garbled) so I'd need a ball park date rather than '1929' as it can mean going through edition by edition.

Boo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 April 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
No probate entry.  Death registered Sept qtr 1929
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 April 21 17:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, can't see a death notice in the available online newspapers for Sunderland within Q3 1929 (plus a week in the next quarter, in case he died right at the end of Sept)

Was worth a shot -especially as I have found 3 that 'may' belong on my tree - though need to do some more poking round to confirm them :-)

Best I can suggest is that the death cert will give you an actual date of death and his address ('if' he died in hospital there may be some indication of his usual address) which may help you to narrow down where he's buried.

Boo

Offline Johnsonsyard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:26 BST (UK) »
Where did he die?  Here are all the areas covered by the Sunderland RD.  He was living in the Durham RD in 1911 if I have the right entry

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/sunderland.html

Hi , Thanks he died in Grangetown.

Offline Johnsonsyard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
Was he living in Sunderland or perhaps died in hospital there and his home (and burial) was elsewhere

If you have a date of death I'm happy to look and see if there was a death notice in the newspapers which may tell you which cemetery, but they are not always easy to search (OCR is often garbled) so I'd need a ball park date rather than '1929' as it can mean going through edition by edition.

Boo

Hi there thanks for reply. nearest date I have is September 1929. he was living with William Mawson , one of his sons.

Offline Johnsonsyard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry, can't see a death notice in the available online newspapers for Sunderland within Q3 1929 (plus a week in the next quarter, in case he died right at the end of Sept)

Was worth a shot -especially as I have found 3 that 'may' belong on my tree - though need to do some more poking round to confirm them :-)

Best I can suggest is that the death cert will give you an actual date of death and his address ('if' he died in hospital there may be some indication of his usual address) which may help you to narrow down where he's buried.

Thanks will have to get death certificate,

Boo