Author Topic: Help - local knowledge needed  (Read 1073 times)

Offline LeedsHipPriest69

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help - local knowledge needed
« on: Saturday 17 April 21 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for some local knowledge

I'm trying to fill in few blanks re the offspring of the siblings of my X6 Great Grandparents, not something I was previously interested in, but I'm doing so in the hope that it opens up new opportunities in finding further information.

I have a 5th gt grand uncle Richard Tew (b Hodnet 1721 d Lostford 1779), wife Rebecca (nee Hopkin). They had, amongst other children, a daughter Elizabeth (b Hodnet 1751)

I can find neither a marriage nor death that I can confirm for Elizabeth, but what i do have are two avenues of research.

I can find a death of one Elizabeth Tew (June 1758 in Audlem Cheshire) who died as a child, and records state her father as Richard, so this is a possibility

Or alternatively, Ancestry suggests as a hint, a marriage in Wellington Shropshire Feb 1772 to one William Webb, although this "hint" comes via a Family Seach link with no images to support/help

I have no knowledge of Shropshire, not the surrounding counties, and Google and Genuki can only help so much.

My gut feeling is the death in Audlem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Benn (Yorkshire), Cock (Ashill, Norfolk), Dickinson (Newton on Trent and Saxilby, Lincolnshire)  Rhodes (Yorkshire), Tew (Shropshire/Staffordshire), Wilks (Yorkshire)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Help - local knowledge needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
There is a Richard Tew baptising children in Audlem around the 1750's  :-\.   Eleanor wife of Richard Tew was buried at Audlem 6th January 1757
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LeedsHipPriest69

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

I'd not seen that thanks, so I dug bit deeper

I can find the Richard you mentioned, but can't find an Elizabeth Tew, inc misspellings, born in Audlem between 1710 and 1760, so I think there might still be  chance that Elizabeth d1758 as a child of Richard Tew, might be the Elizabeth I'm looking for.

Its just my not knowing the county that makes any assumptions difficult

Thanks again

Paul
Benn (Yorkshire), Cock (Ashill, Norfolk), Dickinson (Newton on Trent and Saxilby, Lincolnshire)  Rhodes (Yorkshire), Tew (Shropshire/Staffordshire), Wilks (Yorkshire)

Offline LeedsHipPriest69

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
More clasping at straws maybe on my part, but Elizabeth had an older brother, William b1747 Hodnet

I can find no trace of William in Hodnet thereafter, but I can find a marriage of a William Tew, again in Audlem, in Dec 1765 to a Mary Millington

And yet, no record of a William Tew born between 1700-1780 in Audlem

This is all starting to suggest to me that Richard, Rebecca and family moved  around a little, in spite of the fact Richard was later buried in Lostford

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 21 09:56 BST (UK) »
I can find these Williams:-

Audlem
1708 20 Sep son of Jon

1722 11 Dec son of Richard

1767 12 Apr William son of William

Mucklestone, St Mary, Staffordshire (8 miles away)
1779 24 Oct son of Richard and Jane

1779 2 Dec son of Thomas and Mary

1780 2 Jan son of Thomas and Mary (probably same as previous)

The top two were born in Buerton, 2 miles from Audlem and six miles from Mucklestone

David

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:25 BST (UK) »
Its just my not knowing the county that makes any assumptions difficult

I don't know the area either but use online maps a lot.  My geography of England has vastly improved since I started doing Family History research  :)

Findmypast has the marriage licence for the William Webb /Elizabeth Tew marriage but has them as both of the parish of Wellington.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 April 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
The Richard Tew who died in 1779 appears to have died intestate. I would suggest you have a look at the letters of administration for him on FindMyPast (they have incorrectly indexed his location as Alveley, Shropshire). These actually indicate that his widow (relict) was called Elizabeth. They also clearly state that Richard Tew was late of Losford in the Parish of Hodnet.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 April 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
The Richard Tew who died in 1779 appears to have died intestate. I would suggest you have a look at the letters of administration for him on FindMyPast (they have incorrectly indexed his location as Alveley, Shropshire). These actually indicate that his widow (relict) was called Elizabeth. They also clearly state that Richard Tew was late of Losford in the Parish of Hodnet.

William

Could it be this Richard & Elizabeth
Richard Tew
Elizabeth Hampton
Marriage    03 Dec 1761
Marriage place   Hodnet