Author Topic: where has Caroline Weller got to?  (Read 1206 times)

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
where has Caroline Weller got to?
« on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:29 BST (UK) »
Denison Matthew Wilkinson married Caroline Weller in the parish church, Islington, on 9 Sep. 1871.  She was stated to be a spinster, of full age, address St Peter Street, daughter of Joseph Weller, gentleman.

There are several named Caroline Weller in the 1871 census, but none in Islington.  An average of one a year was born in London and the home counties from the start of civil registration to the early 1850s.  Thoughtless of her not to have a distinctive middle name!

Denny stated he was unmarried in 1881, but a widower when he married again in 1887.  I don't know whether that means his marriage to Caroline was dissolved, or they separated within a decade and she died by 1887, or what.  Can anyone help me track down her birth or death?

There's a St Peter's Street that runs from the Essex Road to Regent's Canal, but I don't think knowing that will help us much.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: where has Caroline Weller got to?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
Did they have any children?  GRO online is showing 2 births in the Medway RD - Caroline 1872 & Ada Florence 1874
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking for Caroline but, I must say, Denison is a very interesting man!

In 1871, he is living with his "wife", Mary Jane Carpenter, and their son Denison Francis Wilkinson but it is clear that they were never married and their son was illegitimate. Denison Francis later reverted back to his mother's surname.

Later in 1871, he marries Caroline.

As Carole has mentioned below, it appears they had two daughters - one in 1872 and one in 1874.

In 1881, he is living with a man called William Dodds. William has a servant called Sophia Francis, whom, it seems, Denison goes on to marry. He is listed as unmarried on the census but on the 1887 marriage record he is listed as widower. 

You probably already know all this but it might help others.

It is amazing how brick-wall ancestors always seem to be able to avoid the census!

Queenie  :)

EDIT: FindMyPast has a search by address function for the 1871 census. Have you tried looking up St Peter's Street?
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 21 16:40 BST (UK) »
As Carole has mentioned below, it appears they had two daughters - one in 1872 and one in 1874.

I don't think so. These appear to be the daughters of Charles Wilkinson and Emily Weller, who married in Rochester on 8 Feb 1874 (from the parish register).
In 1871 they are in Gillingham, Kent - RG10/912 f50 p28.
In 1881 Charles is widowed in Islington - RG11/275 f34 p2.

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 April 21 16:46 BST (UK) »

I don't think so. These appear to be the daughters of Charles Wilkinson and Emily Weller, who married in Rochester on 8 Feb 1874.
In 1871 they are in Gillingham, Kent - RG10/912 f50 p28.
In 1881 Charles is widowed in Islington - RG11/275 f34 p2.

What a coincidence! A Caroline Wilkinson mmn Weller who belongs to another family. If they aren't their children then Caroline and Denison seemingly didn't have any so how is OP related to her?

Maybe wee Hugh will clear it up for us.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 April 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it is just a coincidence, and Charles Wilkinson was no connection.

Queenie has done good detective work!  There's another puzzle, that Sophia Francis was born Sophia Webb.  I think she took a stepfather's surname.  But I do have dates of birth and death for her, recorded by my great-uncle (Denny's nephew).

That source said nothing about Caroline, unfortunately -- and certainly no mention of Mary Jane: skeletons were to be kept firmly in their cupboards!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 April 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
 July 28th 1884 he has a court case at the Old Bailey his mare had been stolen from a field at Southall. Dennison ( 2 n's) was living at Market Farm and was in the civil service.

www.oldbaileyonline.org

In 1885/1886 he claims to be paying £80 a year rent to William Dodds
 Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 April 21 17:56 BST (UK) »
Have you discounted this death?
Caroline Wilkinson age 23
Jan 1875
Bethnal Green
Possible burial
5th March 1875
Southwark
buried with 10 others

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 April 21 18:00 BST (UK) »
That was news to me about the mare.

Yes, he was a civil servant: at the GPO.
And the name has been misspelled with two Ns in other sources too.
I suspect he was named in honour of Edward Denison, bishop of Salisbury.

As far as is known, Denison Francis (Carpenter) was his only child by any of his wives or mistresses.

And thank you, Comberton; but why would she have died in Bethnal Green?
Or is it just a sign that the marriage had failed?