Author Topic: Jemima Langley  (Read 483 times)

Offline Una01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jemima Langley
« on: Saturday 17 April 21 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hello - my first posting which I hope someone may be able to help me with.

Jemima is a relation on my Family Tree who I cannot seem to find any details on apart from a mention on the 1841 Census and who has now become a bit of an obsession!  She is recorded on the Census as aged 13 and living in Uckfield, Sussex with William Langley (presumably her father), William (aged 10, presumably brother), John (aged 7, presumably brother), Mary Ann (aged 24 and who I know at this date is William's second wife) and Samuel (aged 7 months, half-brother).  I have found another girl who I believe was William and his first wife's (who I believe was called Mary Ann) daughter named Mary Ann (!) who was born in 1826 in Brighton but who died in 1838 in Uckfield.  On her death certificate, under Occupation, is written 'Gardener's daughter' and I know that William was a gardener (also stated on the 1841 Census) and so I have tentatively made that connection.  Yet for Jemima I cannot find anything more.  I have looked to see if Jemima was a diminutive for another name but it isn't and I cannot find anything to suggest it is a middle name. 

If anyone can suggest ways of further research I would be most grateful!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Jemima Langley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootchat ;D

Done a little 'fishing' and from some very basics it might be worth you looking for Jemima Thompson married to George occ Carter living in Danhill Thakeham, Sussex with three children on the 1861... on the 1901 living in Henfield, Sussex a widow acc charwomen with one daughter Sarah ( bap 29 Feb 1852 Southwater, Sussex f George/m Jemima)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
That marriage was 1848 & she was Jemima Nicholson

William Langley (widower) married Mary Ann Thomsett/Thompsett in 1840 & I did wonder if Jemima was Mary Ann’s side of the family but can’t find anything under Thom*

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
If this is the right lady then she is in Itchingfield, Sussex in 1881 and Henfield, Sussex 1891 widowed with Sarah living with her

Geirge/Jemima child Mary was bap 2 Jul 1848 in Shipley, Sussex
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
1848 Marriage in Shipley is on FreeREG , Jemimas Father JOHN Nicholson a Labourer

Also a 1826 Bapt Shipley for Jemima, Parents JOHN/RUTH.

Marriage 12 Oct 1820 John NICHOLSON to Ruth POTTER

I see the 13 Aug 1826 bapt for Mary Ann.
There is also a Elizabeth 04 Sep 1836, Parents William/Elizabeth. This William is a Gardener also.

Do you know Williams 1st Wifes maiden name?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Una01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 21 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the replies - I shall see what further information I can find using the suggestions given!

trish1120 - my belief is that William's first wife was called Mary Pierce and they were married in 1825 in Brighton.

Thank you again!