Author Topic: Find My Past -- irritation  (Read 1220 times)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Find My Past -- irritation
« on: Thursday 22 April 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
Have been using FindMyPast today and I am just about ready to throw PC out of the window. After every search and moving between pages of the search results, I continually get a pop up window (see image below) telling me 'We are updating our Terms and Conditions' -- doesn't matter what I do, it continues to pop up. Sent message to FindMyPast but haven't heard back yet.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past -- irritation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 21 13:30 BST (UK) »
I'm more annoyed about what that message says!

"As of Wednesday 28 April 2021 we will be updating section 9 of our Terms and Conditions. We will no longer be adding an additional three days to Pro and World customer subscriptions following a Free Weekend or Free Access Period."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
I must be lucky so far, as I've not had it. Maybe I block pop ups  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
I never used to get the free days anyway but can understand you being annoyed about it groom.
They are certainly 'tidying' things up - no more Britain subs, we have been moved to Pro. 

I am not having problems with the pop up though, I read it once and have not seen it since.  I did think it was a good idea to draw my attention to it in this way as I did read it whereas if they had emailed me about a change I would probably have put it to one side without reading it and forgotten about it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Diblet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
I think that it's all to do with the 1921 census that FindMyPast will have next year.
They're sweetening us all up by saying that we can have Pro. access until our British subscription runs out and then they'll hit us with a much dearer subscription that a lot of us don't want or need so that they can rake more money in to help pay for the 1921 census.

I think I'll take a break when my subscription runs out. I don't like being pushed into a corner!  :(

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 April 21 14:21 BST (UK) »

I am not having problems with the pop up though, I read it once and have not seen it since.

Have looked at my settings for my web browser (EDGE) and it is set to block 'pop ups' from Find My Past -- doesn't stop them today!

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 April 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
I have the same problem with Ancestry and their cookie permission pop-up. Apparently it's because I use an adblocker and won't disable it.
rayard.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:09 BST (UK) »
Just had a response from FindMyPast so called help desk -- followed their suggestion and guess what -- it didn't work.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:19 BST (UK) »
I think that it's all to do with the 1921 census that FindMyPast will have next year.
They're sweetening us all up by saying that we can have Pro. access until our British subscription runs out and then they'll hit us with a much dearer subscription that a lot of us don't want or need so that they can rake more money in to help pay for the 1921 census.

I think I'll take a break when my subscription runs out. I don't like being pushed into a corner!  :(

I suspect that the 1921 census will not be part of any subscription to start with. The 1911 census and 1939 register were only initially available with credits.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk