Author Topic: 1881 Census puzzle  (Read 991 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1881 Census puzzle
« on: Saturday 24 April 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 Census of Wednesbury James Hickin (Hicken), a grocer, aged 50, was living at 66, Holyhead Road, with his family. He was also at 171, Holyhead Road, seemingly alone, aged 52. Was this his shop, and did work make him feel more stressed-out, and therefore seemingly older? ;D

(I’m pretty sure there was only one James Hickin, grocer, born in Lapworth close to 1830. He was baptised there in 1829. In 1841 he was in Lapworth with his twice-widowed mother and family, including Hill half-siblings. In 1851 he was a grocer in Sedgeley with his half-brother Thomas Hill, a grocer. I haven’t yet located him in 1861 or 1871.)

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Census puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 21 10:06 BST (UK) »
1871??  Living in Wednesbury   

James Hickin    41 b Lapworth  Grocer
Hannah Hickin 51    
Sarah Ann Hickin 7    
Elizabeth Hannah Hickin 11    

In 1861 working as a Jouneyman Grocer for a Grocer in Sedgley

Looks like the same James at both addresses in 1881 - As you say possibly one was his shop  but he wasn't at home with his wife in 1891??  Ah!  I still he was still at 171 Holyhead Road  without his family  - Did they split up??

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
1871??  Living in Wednesbury   =

James Hickin    41 b Lapworth  Grocer
Hannah Hickin 51    
Sarah Ann Hickin 7    
Elizabeth Hannah Hickin 11    

In 1861 working as a Jouneyman Grocer for a Grocer in Sedgley

Looks like the same James at both addresses in 1881 - As you say possibly one was his shop  but he wasn't at home with his wife in 1891??  Ah!  I still he was still at 171 Holyhead Road  without his family  - Did they split up??

Thanks for finding these. I’m using FindMyPast and have now found James in the 1871 Census and should be able to find him by the address in 1891, but I’m still not seeing him in 1861. (Searching by James Hickin and his year of birth +/- 2yrs only brings up 1841, 1851 and 1881.) Maybe it’s been mistranscribed. Would it be possible to give me the address or a different individual on the page to search by?

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a James Necklen born Lapworth living in Wednesbury with wife Hannah and two daughters,.
He is a Grocer but age of 31 seems wrong.
Image surname could possibly be Hicken. On FindMyPast

Cathy
Added apologies, I see Kay 99 has found them already, I should read posts more carefully!
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a James Necklen born Lapworth living in Wednesbury with wife Hannah and two daughters,.
He is a Grocer but age of 31 seems wrong.
Image surname could possibly be Hicken. On FindMyPast

Cathy
Added apologies, I see Kay 99 has found them already, I should read posts more carefully!

Hi Cathy, this is very helpful because it’s clearly the same 1861 census entry which Kay99 found, but with the info I needed to locate it on FindMyPast (Necklen!). The age of 31 agrees pretty well with his having been baptised in 1829.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
Apologies Dave - the 1861 details I posted was actually 1851  :-\   Senior moment

As Cathy said James's surname is transcribed as Necklen is 1861 on FindMyPast and his age on the image is 31 although it is transcribed as 21

Kay

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 April 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
Apologies Dave - the 1861 details I posted was actually 1851  :-\   Senior moment

As Cathy said James's surname is transcribed as Necklen is 1861 on FindMyPast and his age on the image is 31 although it is transcribed as 21

Kay

Thanks Kay, not to worry. I’ve been experiencing senior moments for quite a while now (searching for glasses that I’m wearing etc). It’s a sign of a mature mind.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 April 21 18:11 BST (UK) »
To be fair to the FindMyPast transcriber the 1861 rendering of the capital “H” of Hickin is very different from the other “H’s” on the form.

Dave