Author Topic: Highland News 1912 obituary  (Read 1109 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Highland News 1912 obituary
« on: Tuesday 27 April 21 12:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the [/i]Highland News archives online? If so would it be possible for you to check it for 10 February 1912 and find the obituary for Aeneas Mackay Mackenzie of Stornaway? I should be most grateful if anyone can help me with this!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Highland News 1912 obituary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
No obit only his bankruptcy notice in March following his death. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Don, thank you for replying. I am a bit baffled as I have him going bankrupt in 1909 (notification in 'The Scotsman') three years before his death in 1912. Did he go bankrupt twice?!

This query was a first step towards trying to make sense of his business affairs: someone some years ago told me that he'd had an obituary in 'Highland News' (definitely not anywhere else) which is interesting as he was clearly a mover and shaker in local affairs.

In 1897 he was caught up in a confusing court case about Anglo-American Oil paying him for something -- I've not found anything online about oil investigations on Lewis at that date.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Aidem62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi queencorgi1

British Newspaper Archive site has obits from Northern Chronicle and General Advertiser for North of Scotland 7th Feb 1912 and North Star and Farmers' Chronicle 8th Feb 1912 - I will PM

Cheers

Aidem

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 12:50 BST (UK) »
Aidem thank you so much, that would be fantastic. Many thanks.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
Aidem, many thanks for your PM and its attachment. I tried to reply to it directly but apparently without success -- apologies therefore if you receive two versions of this reply! I am not descended from Aeneas Mackay Mackenzie. I am an historical researcher and my interest is primarily in Gavin Fowlie, Aeneas's father in law. Aeneas and Gavin's son Peter got Gavin sent to Inverness Mental Asylum in July 1899, and it was alleged at the time that the reasons for this were in part at least political, also that Gavin wanted to marry 'an old fallen woman' called Bella (I'd love to know who she was). Gavin died in the asylum in February 1900. I should be interested to know if he got an obituary in Highland News but suspect that he didn't as the whole topic must have been pretty embarrassing. Thank you again and I look forward to your next instalment.

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 May 21 18:24 BST (UK) »
The Glasgow Herald 6th Feb 1912

MacKenzie
At 32, James St., Stornoway, on 4th inst., Aeneas MacKay MacKenzie, Shipbuilder

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 21 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lismore! I imagine it would be similar to those in Highland News which Aidem has sent me. I am just sorry Gavin Fowlie didn't get one!

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 May 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
COMPLETED