Author Topic: Help please with Drogheda library re Caddell of Harbourstown 1887 Will extract  (Read 850 times)

Offline Peter Cockerill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Very happy to share information
    • View Profile
Dear Friends

The newspaper article below mentions that Drogheda Library has a substantial abstract of the Will of Robert Caddell of Harbourstown who died 1887. I am unable to get to the library as based overseas and the library has not responded to my requests.

Is there a saintly person who can help me get a copy of the full abstract.

Very many thanks. Peter

Fingal Independent [Newspaper] 29.08.2018

Know Your Parish

THE following article was very kindly given to me by a member of staff of the Drogheda Library. It concerns an extract from the will of Robert Caddell of Harbourstown House, who died on the 14th November 1887 at Jachbrook, Bournemouth in England. The assets of his will exceeded sixty thousand pounds.

Robert Caddell bequeathed to his sister, Sophia Jerningham, all his watches, jewels, personal ornaments and wearing apparel, besides all furniture, plated goods, linen, glass and china, books, pictures, paintings, statuary and all articles of vertu (except the French buhl clock, hereinafter, otherwise disposed of together with all stores for domestic and household use, wines, liquors, horses, carriages, etc.

To the Hon. Edward John Preston he leaves the old French buhl clock in the dining-room at Harbourstown. Testator devised his mansion house at Harbourstown and the demesne lands belonging to the same, including the grazing lands attached thereto, to the aforesaid Sophia Jerningham and her assignees during her life without impeachment of waste, but nevertheless, so that during her coverture they shall not have the power to dispose of the rents and profits of the said premises by way of anticipation or otherwise.

After the death of the said Sophia Jerningham the aforesaid property was devised to the use of Iltid Nicholl the younger, the eldest son of the testator’s late niece, Cecilla Nicholl, wife of Captain Iltid Nicholl and to his assignees during his life and after his death to the use of the first and every other son of the said Iltid Nicholl the younger.

Robert Caddell also bequeathed to the Roman Catholic priests of Stamullen and Ardcath the sum of £50 each for the benefit of the poor of the said parishes and a further £25 to be expended upon the repairs of the Catholic Church of Stamullen.

He also bequeathed to his sister, Pauline Caddell, the sum of £2.500 and to the Right Hon. Jenico Lord Gormanston, the sum of £500.

The above will goes on and on and is too extant to be included here; however it gives a fascinating insight into the wealth of one of the most powerful families to have resided in the parish of Stamullen during this period.
Butler, Ireland.
Caddell, Co. Meath, Ireland.
Cockerill, Hackness, North Yorkshire.
Farrell, Ireland.
Jerningham, Costessy, Norfolk.
Nicholl, Merthyr Mawr, Wales.
Owen, Fulham, London.
Peck, Holt, Denbighshire, Wales.
Peck, Wakefield, Huddersfield,Yorkshire
Tilt Coventry.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with Drogheda library re Caddell of Harbourstown 1887 Will extract
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 April 21 20:35 BST (UK) »
The newspaper article below mentions that Drogheda Library has a substantial abstract of the Will of Robert Caddell of Harbourstown who died 1887. I am unable to get to the library as based overseas and the library has not responded to my requests.

Is there a saintly person who can help me get a copy of the full abstract.

Since we've been in lockdown the library is closed-
https://www.louthcoco.ie/en/contact/location_maps/drogheda/drogheda_library.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peter Cockerill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Very happy to share information
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with Drogheda library re Caddell of Harbourstown 1887 Will extract
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 May 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you ghadowey for that info. I will continueto try post covid.

Best wishes

Peter
Butler, Ireland.
Caddell, Co. Meath, Ireland.
Cockerill, Hackness, North Yorkshire.
Farrell, Ireland.
Jerningham, Costessy, Norfolk.
Nicholl, Merthyr Mawr, Wales.
Owen, Fulham, London.
Peck, Holt, Denbighshire, Wales.
Peck, Wakefield, Huddersfield,Yorkshire
Tilt Coventry.