Author Topic: Baptism of older person  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of older person
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 May 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
 One thing that does not seem to have been mentioned about Baptist Baptisms is that quite frequently they are done outdoors, in coastal towns in the sea, and inland using the local river (which may have health implications in some areas where the river is polluted).
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 May 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Yes our local park was used for a good while by an obscure sect.
If you know the Irwell, you would not be totally submerged in it.

My dog loved to swim but had to be washed completely after being in the river a few years previous ,it would be blue on Tuesdays ,purple on Wednesdays and red Fridays from the Dyeworks up the valley.
Then the soap works discharged into it ,” I’m forever blowing bubbles!”
Now pretty clean with Millers Thumb little fish and Stickleback tiddlers and the occasional trout .
Viktoria.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 May 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
The Don at Doncaster had more froth on it than a pint of beer! This in the power station weir. Now cleaner and I hear salmon have been seen in recent years.
Digressing I just wonder how many people were unintentionally killed by 19th century campaigns against alcohol "My drink is water bright etc"
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 May 21 19:08 BST (UK) »
When was it mandatory for houses to have clean piped water.?
In towns I think the late  1800’s ,correction welcome .
But the countryside ,well as late as the early nineteen fifties houses in the lead mining area of South Shropshire were without water and the drinking water was a filtered run off from the huge lead mine there .Icy cold and delicious ,collected for drinking and cooking in cans like milk cans.,other water for washing and cleaning was collected rainwater .
Condemned as being too heavily contaminated , the  replacement was truly disliked .
Plenty of graduates and gifted people, few with learning difficulties etc ,practically no antisocial behaviour ,and plenty of octogenarians  so the lead contaminated water had not exacted a high price.
Viktoria.