Author Topic: Charters of Clonmellon  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Irish Connection

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charters of Clonmellon
« on: Saturday 01 May 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I have recently began to investigate my family's past and all has been well so far. However, I am at a bit of a block and was hoping some of you could help me out with the information I've found- it would be appreciated. (All these family members belonged to the Church of Ireland, which has both aided and hindered my search.)

My great-great-great grandfather, John Charters (b. 1824), was registered as an R.I.C. Policeman in Athboy in 1847, with his place of residence being Clonmellon. He later moved to Dublin and transferred to the D.M.P. His wedding certificate with Jane Douglas in 1850 puts his father as James Charters.

Naturally I began searching for a James Charters and perhaps a birth certificate for both himself and his son. Unfortunately my wishes were trampled on after finding out that the registers for the parish of Clonmellon (aka. Killua/Killallon) had been destroyed in the Public Records Office fire during the civil war. However, that didn't stop me.

I found James Charters on the Tithe Applotment books (recorded as Chartres on some documents) and on the Griffith's Valuation. On the Griffith's valuation he is recorded as renting three seperate pieces of land, and this is where I am confused. He is neighbours with a Margaret Finnegan (who also rents three seperate pieces of land) on all of his properties spread out across Clonmellon and Kilrush Lower. However, he is recorded as owning what appears to be a house (judging from the map) on her land, and herself a house on his land! Both of them then own seperate fields. What could be going on here? Cohabiting, perhaps? A tax scheme?  - photos attached.

As well as that, I appear to have had a bit of good luck. With the records being burnt for the CoI church in Clonmellon, St. Johns, I found on the CoI website of the history of Meath/Westmeath, a document of a census undertaken by the Bishop of Meath in 1803. Rather than having to treck to the physical library in Dublin, the page they had decided to upload was that of the parish of Killua and Killallon! On the page, it lists a "Robert and Alicia Charters", along with a "Widow Charters", as well as a list of the sons/daughters in each household - photo attached. I was wondering if any of you could help me figure out which one James Charters might be the son of, if any?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I hope that I haven't stretched my limits of luck and gotten farther than I should have already.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charters of Clonmellon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 21 07:26 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 21 07:28 BST (UK) »

Offline Irish Connection

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 May 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Brother ? Ralph son of James a Steward
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1851/09419/5412228.pdf

Definitely seems like it would be the brother of John Charters who had moved to Dublin a couple years previous, especially considering the residence is Clonmellon- the name Ralph also matches with later descendants. Thank you for finding that! Unfortunately I haven't found any way to find the name of James Charters' wife, who would be his mother. Could you think of a possible connection with the Margaret Finnegan he is resident beside?

House books 1854
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qkp/

On the rootsireland website there lists a James Charters being born around 1820 to a Robert and Priscilla in Athboy, and I think that might be the one referenced on the house books. I found a transcribed death cert on rootsireland for a James Charters in 1853 aged 74, implying he was born in 1776. I doubt it's possible to find the records stretching that far back, although I would be interested in finding who he had married if possible.

I have been told these ancestors are of a Hugeonot lineage and I was trying to piece back the line to try and figure out which branch I am descedant of. Thank you for your help, the Ralph Charters marrying Zimmerman was a very interesting find  ;D