Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 1st May  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 1st May
« on: Saturday 01 May 21 23:58 BST (UK) »
Nothing particularly interesting today but I suppose I could say that about most days.
Woke up early and went for my walk early too, sunny but chilly. It was really quiet, so unlike this time last year when all the people who had decided to get fit in lockdown were out, cluttering the place up!

Came home and hung some washing out, had to take it in shortly after as it rained, then out again later. Sent for a couple of tshirts, I wanted the longer ones but not baggy.
Later in the afternoon it had warmed up so I did some gardening, removed some bulbs from the planters and put them in a pot at the back of the garden to die down. Put some of the spent compost in a smaller pot and planted nasturtium seeds, they flower best in poor soil.

Did some salmon for tea, a couple of glasses of wine in the evening, watched Doc Martin from yesterday. Nothing exciting about my day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 1st May
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 21 08:15 BST (UK) »
Perhaps not exciting Roobarb, but very nice to have a quiet walk and a pleasing time in your lovely garden.

My alarm went off at 4:00 a.m. so I could drive to Dartmoor and see the May day sun rise at HayTor rocks, where traditionally for years, Morris sides have met and danced on the feast of Beltane, which marked the beginning of summer, when the ancient Celts turned their cattle out to the summer pastures. 
I crept out of the bedroom leaving H slumbering blissfully. 
It's around a 45 minutes drive, so I just had time to call my grand daughter in Oz to wish her a happy birthday before I set off.  Luckily she was too busy for a lengthy chat as she had a full schedule for her Special Day.
The sky was streaked with pink as I passed the best view of Tor Bay, with 3 cruise ships at anchor all lit from stem to stern.
Further in land the air became noticeably cooler, but I was well wrapped up, expecting below zero temperatures until later in the day.  Shortly after I crossed the cattle grid onto the Moor I passed a small herd of wild ponies including a wobbly foal by the roadside. 
There was a low haze on the horizon, but soon the crimson sun peeped above, and the heavy ground frost twinkled and sparkled in the daylight.
I could see numbers of people standing on the top of the Tor, greeting the sun, but my plan was to avoid any crowds, so I walked around to the quarry pool, where a few other crazy dancers from my team were sitting enjoying the stillness. 
Quietly listening to the skylarks and a cuckoo, we ate a small picnic breakfast, and then danced for a few minutes, before splitting up to stroll back to our cars.
One friend said on arrival she had been approached by a stranger who asked if there would be Morris dancing as usual, but had said she thought not, due to the pandemic, to which the stranger replied she was surprised as she thought it was all finished now!!
Regular readers will know that Saturday is normally early bread raid on town day, and H was supposed to have collected the order by the time I got home, but he had spent so much time catching up with his beauty sleep, we needed to walk down to pick it up before lunch, and then had a stroll around the lakes afterwards. We didn't spot anything exciting, but a passerby told us he had seen the gosling family on Thursday which is good news.
That was sufficient exercise for me for the day, so I sat and read my library book while H enjoyed the rugby.
Fish fingers for tea!!  Is it wrong for an adult to like fish fingers??
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 21 08:18 BST (UK) »
Some sign of normality returning. The local Methodist Church had a regular Saturday morning Coffee and Bacon Butty affair which obviously had to be put on hold for lock-down. The past couple of Saturdays they have re-introduced it, but holding it in the Car Park outside, suitably socially distanced, but neverthless a welcome return for a chat with those we have not seen for a while. The weather yesterday was quite pleasant, not too breezy and with some pleasant sunshine and a nice comfortable walk there and back

Spent some time time then in the garden, tidying up the pots ready for planting and tending the seedlings in the greenhouse. I tried raising some Sunflowers with seed from last year's amazing crop, but sadly only two germinated; they are doing well and I potted them on. We will let the two young boys in the house at the back have them as we did last year- great competition to see which one grew the highest. They are keen footballers and often their ball would be over the fence into our garden (they always had a spare one handy, and then that would be over as well). Then they would call out to Nick, "Can you throw our ball back please?" and sometimes walk around and knock on the door. Nick took an interest in their soccer progress- the  elder of the two played in his school team as a striker- Nick was a bit of a soft touch, and often gave him a reward for his goal scoring efforts.
In the afternoon we went out for a drive in the car, really for a change of scenery. I try and plan the journey as far as possible so that it is a real "round trip" and to avoid going over the same ground on return as for the outward journey. In that respect it is quite fortunate that we live in a cul-de-sac and have the option of two ways out when we reach the junction with the main part of the estate.
So yesterday (get the map out and follow us), we set out from Westfield, down into Radstock and then to Camerton, Timsbury and througfh the lanes to Woollard and Pensford. Up the hill towards Whitchurch but turning off towards Chew Magna. Then turning off again to Stanton Drew where there is a Stone Circle. (Adge Cutler afficionados will recall his song "When the Common Market comes to Stanton Drew and where he sings about "...we'll all drink Caviar from a gert big gallon jar!".
On then to Bishop Sutton and around the Chew Valley Lake (Bristol Water Reservoir), through West Harptree and then up the hill to the top of Mendip and back home via Green Ore, Emborough and Chilcompton. A great variety of scene changes and particularly welcoming now that spring has sprung. So the only duplication of track was back into our little cul-de-sac.
And time for a refreshing cup of tea.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 May 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful description of your trip to Dartmoor MH, it sounds almost magical. Such a treat to see the wild ponies and their foal. Pleased to hear that the goslings are doing well.
Nothing wrong with fish fingers! A friend of mine couldn't believe that I'd never had a fish finger sandwich in my life, I can't say it's something I've ever thought of making.  :)

Good news about your coffee and bacon butty event resuming Jeff, good to get together with people. I don't know your area at all, sounds like a lovely run out for you. Hope the sunflowers continue thriving!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 May 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful description of your trip to Dartmoor MH, it sounds almost magical. Such a treat to see the wild ponies and their foal. Pleased to hear that the goslings are doing well.
Nothing wrong with fish fingers! A friend of mine couldn't believe that I'd never had a fish finger sandwich in my life, I can't say it's something I've ever thought of making.  :)

Good news about your coffee and bacon butty event resuming Jeff, good to get together with people. I don't know your area at all, sounds like a lovely run out for you. Hope the sunflowers continue thriving!

Yes, good news Jeff.

I'm glad you think fish fingers are ok Roobarb, but I need to put it on record, I am far too posh to have them in butties.... I usually have them with beans.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 May 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Keep us updated on the nasturtiums Roobarb.I planted some in my daughter’s flower beds a couple of weeks ago and most of them seem to be throwing out some green leaves. It remains to be seen how well they do. The soil is worse than bad in those beds.

You have a real way with words MH. I felt like I was up at the Tor with you. I can imagine it must have been very uplifting. Also, I like fish fingers, or at least I used to. I think the English ones are far superior to those we have here.

Your drive sounds really nice Jeff - going for a drive is an excellent way to get out of the house, take in the scenery, and still keep safe.

I think there is something about the thought of bread with fish that doesn’t appeal to me either Roobarb. Though many things taste better than they sound - off the top of my head, chip (or crisp) butties being one, and deep fried Mars bars being another.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 May 21 12:16 BST (UK) »
I've grown nasturtiums before Ruskie, if the soil is good they just make lots of foliage rather than flowers. On one of the gardening programmes one of the presenters said they always used to say plant them in the sweepings from the shed floor. So the ones in your daughter's flowerbeds have a good chance. And you can eat the flowers, possibly as a change from fish fingers.  ;D

When my sister and I were teenagers my dad used to tell us that we'd get spots from eating chip sandwiches. No explanation as to why that differed from eating them separately, I think he was just trying to discourage us from the rather ill mannered practice of making our dinner into a sandwich at the table.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 May 21 13:26 BST (UK) »
Nice to read about all your lovely walks and drives ,Thank you .
Also to hear about Nick Jeff.

I am a bit housebound at the moment  but can crawl into the garden!(  ;D ;D ;D)
Bright,sunny but cold today.

Pork chop for tea and rice pudding with nutmeg and raisins .

Woken at eight this morning,well that is not exact,I was awake but not intending to get up for a liittle while when bathroom was warm .
But neighbour ,( he with the dropped kerb syndrome ) is having more work done, so mixers,drills etc all in full swing at eight .
However he has - well from the outside - really enhanced  the  property.
I now address a casual remark to him when he passes my garden ,he has to answer ,I hate ignoring people and whilst I did not like his behaviour ,see no reason to have the awkwardness of ignoring someone who lives nearby.
If we can be civil that is something.

Thanks for the tip re Nasturtiums.
 I did not realise they like poor soil.
Must tell my son as I gave him lots of seeds collected from my planters and hanging baskets last year.

Looking at lovely short breaks for  my friend and I to think about - but most are early,like now ,so as it is not alright to travel just yet it must all wait until movement is easier.

We have not been away together before but she abd I teamed up on school trips so if either needed “ the conveniences” the other could look after our group for the few minutes needed.
A very pleasant person.
I have great respect for her.

Well folks must get on ,thanks again for the  lovely  descriptions
of your walks .
Hope all is well with you all.
Viktoria.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 May 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
I also have nothing much to report. Was at work so lots happened but obviously can't tell you.  Despite there being a nip in the air it was very warm inside, especially in PPE.  Got my hair badly tangled in my visor taking it off for my break.  Should have seen state of my hair on way home. 
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others