Author Topic: Liggett family in Clogher, Tyrone  (Read 878 times)

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liggett family in Clogher, Tyrone
« on: Sunday 02 May 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to trace the Liggett family line back in Ceide/Keady, Clogher, Tyrone.  The earliest ancestor I have is Joseph Liggett born in about 1787 in Clogher who died in 1870 Derrycreevy, Aghaloo, Tyrone.  He was married to Margaret Robinson.

Can anyone help me get further back than this please or point me in the direction where I can get more information.

Thank you for your time.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Liggett family in Clogher, Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Your Liggetts seem to have emigrated to Australia, but apparently Joseph Liggett (the father) returned to Ireland within a few years, since you found his 1870 death record at Derrycreevy. Or was the Joseph Liggett in Australia a different and younger man, perhaps a son of Joseph who died in 1870 at age 83? These aren't my ancestors but I have other Liggett relatives in County Tyrone.

"South Australian Register" newspaper

October 24 1856 - Married on the 14th inst., at Fair View Farm, by the Rev. Robert Haining, Mr. John Marrett, of Altamira Farm, Upper Dry Creek, to MISS MARTHA LIGGETT, third daughter of MR. JOSEPH LIGGETT, Derrycreevy, County Tyrone, Ireland.

August 7 1858 - Married on Wednesday, the 4th instant, at Salisbury, by the Rev. Mr. Boake, Arthur Russell, formerly of Wiltshire, England, to MARGARET, eldest daughter of JOSEPH LIGGETT, Fair River, Dry Creek, formerly of County Tyrone, Ireland.

"Londonderry Sentinel" newspaper (Ireland)

November 26 1858 - Married August 4, at Salisbury, South Australia, Mr. Arthur Russell, formerly of Wiltshire, to MARGARET, eldest daughter of MR. J. LIGGET, formerly of Tyrone.

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Liggett family in Clogher, Tyrone
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 24 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

I have explored the Joseph Liggett from Derrycreevy, Aughnacloy who emigrated to Australia and I have him on the back burner as a child of Joseph Liggett (senior) as I have yet to find any definitive proof that links them both together.  Plus it would have made the parents very young when he was born and there would have been 15 year age gap between the first and second child.

It is however tempting to think that he is a son of Joseph & Margaret as, being the first born child he is named after his father, and he in turns names his first born child (with Ann Caldwell) Margaret (after his mother) presumably!