Author Topic: Location wanted please  (Read 997 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Location wanted please
« on: Monday 03 May 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in London
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location wanted please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
Intriguing. The guardsman suggests it's a building with a royal connection, but I haven't spotted a match.

The architectural style to some extent would match St James's Palace, Hampton Court, or some parts of the Tower of London - or Windsor Castle if that's close enough.

The initials above the doorway - are they GR IIII? In theory that could be George IV or (in Latin) William IV, but have I read them right?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
Any clues as to timescale?  Looks 1960’s or 70’s from clothing
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
The date would be around 1957-58. There looks to be some sort of shop? to the right if that helps.
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:37 BST (UK) »
Can’t see a shop.  Looks more like a sight seeing location & I’m inclined to agree with Arthurk re Royal connection
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
The coat one of the ladies is wearing is what we used to call a Duster coat.  Very popular in 1960.  My mum bought me one - my friends thought I was pregnant!!

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 21 17:42 BST (UK) »
There looks to be some sort of signage above the window.
Lots of places in and around London used to have military guards including museums, bank of England and the Royal mint. I can't find a picture for this one though.
The children are known to me so the photo can be dated fairly accurately.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
Is it the public entrance to the staterooms at Windsor Castle? If I remember, you walk round the back of the castle and there are steps up to the exhibitions.

Added
No it isn’t  ::) I just saw a modern photo and nothing like it. I just recall the queue and the steps. ;)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Looking at photos online, the flat-topped sentry box is only seen at St James Palace?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)