Author Topic: Living people on the 1939 register  (Read 1637 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Living people on the 1939 register
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 May 21 13:08 BST (UK) »
I take exception to comments about "meddling" and"busybodies". You don't know me or my mother, you don't know our feelings, and I think that if you didn't intend those comments to apply to me, you should make that clear ---- or apologise.  >:(

Seconded  >:(
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 May 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
I replied to your question "What sort of proof do they demand?"

I then added a general reply to other posters regarding the closure of records that the person concerned did not mind being open.
However if you think the records should not be opened for 100 years the perhaps you should consider whether it is hypocrisy to view a dataset that is not 100 years old in the first place!
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 May 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
When I found my mum's entry unredacted, I emailed FindMyPast telling them that although she had no objection to her details being on view, they might want to use her line to improve the method they use to filter the data.

I couldn't work out how they unredacted her entry; her married name is not in the part of the record I could see, and there's no matching death under her maiden name in the registers.

The record disappeared from view in a couple of days.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 May 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
My father is very much alive.   For some reason, the black line saying that the "record is officially closed" has been removed from the 1939 image.   The transcript still says that the record is closed, and his information is hidden from searches (he can't be found using name/date etc). 

This seems like a simple mistake to fix - the record is still closed (as it should be), but the black line on the image has incorrectly been removed at some point.   Ancestry just has to put the line back. 

For some reason, I can't get Ancestry to understand the problem.  I have been contacting them by email - but I get useless "stock" replies from them.

This is my favourite so far....after clearly telling them the problem was with the 1939 UK Register.....

"While census records are not considered protected information, we do understand the need to protect information. The images from the census are provided by the Canadian governement, so we don't have a great deal of control over that, but we can make that line unsearchable. Due to the image being provided by the Canadian government we may not be able to black out the line but if it is possible you would need to make the request via email to customersolutions@ancestry.com."

I am taking a little break from dealing with Ancestry (too much frustration).  Perhaps I will try a phone call in the next couple of days. 

RK

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 21:04 BST (UK) »
The daughter of a friend of my mother's who was born 1919 is still crossed out. Good reason, still with us at 102. That road in Boston Lincs has produced at least three centenarians and many have lived into their late 90s including my mother (99)Something in the water?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
I take exception to comments about "meddling" and"busybodies". You don't know me or my mother, you don't know our feelings, and I think that if you didn't intend those comments to apply to me, you should make that clear ---- or apologise.  >:(

Hi Annie,

As I appear to be the person who used the word "meddling" I guess I am one of those your comments are directed at.

Having used the words "I" and "my record" ("my" also being in bold in the original) I would have thought it was obvious that I was referring to a hypothetical situation to emphasise the point that the records 'belong' to the subject (the hypothetical 'me'). This is an important point in data protection law which explains why the organisations referred to in this thread need some form of 'proof' of a connection.

Since you and I don't know each other, and the probability of you finding my hypothetical unredacted 1939 record is infinitely small, I would think it was self evident that my comment had no relation whatsoever with either you or your mum. As such, I'm unsure what wording it was you felt would make it any clearer that I didn't intend those comments to apply to you. How could you "meddle" with my record?

As a general point (I.e. not applying solely to you) I do sometimes wonder what has happened to this forum. It used to be a friendly place where people chatted about family history and got on with each other. Now it seems some folks hang out here seeking any offence they can take.

Throwing 'angry faces' at other forum members because a point isn't clear or has been misunderstood seems entirely uncalled for. Whatever happened to the common courtesy of giving other people the benefit of the doubt and not assuming the worst of them? Has the era of social media and the internet forum really killed off such niceties?

That might be a discussion for another thread (and i don't wish to add anything here), but having much respect for the site's owners and mods it is not something I am going to take the initiative and start. But I do hope for the future health of this site that is something people will take a moment or two to consider before posting their angriness in future.

Finally, please accept my best wishes, and be absolutely assured I was in no way suggesting you were "meddling".

Seconded  >:(

Please see the above JenB.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
My father is very much alive.   For some reason, the black line saying that the "record is officially closed" has been removed from the 1939 image.   The transcript still says that the record is closed, and his information is hidden from searches (he can't be found using name/date etc). 

This seems like a simple mistake to fix - the record is still closed (as it should be), but the black line on the image has incorrectly been removed at some point.   Ancestry just has to put the line back. 

For some reason, I can't get Ancestry to understand the problem.  I have been contacting them by email - but I get useless "stock" replies from them.

Have you checked whether the record is also showing like that on FindMyPast.  My understanding was that Ancestry does not update the register themselves and that is only done by The National Archives/FindMyPast.   The register is continually updated by these two and then handed to Ancestry around once a year
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk