Author Topic: DNA match through an illegitimate child?  (Read 640 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA match through an illegitimate child?
« on: Wednesday 05 May 21 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have found a possible DNA match between myself and descendants of the illegitimate child of my (probable) 3 x great aunt on my father's side. The descendent would be my 4th cousin 2 x removed and results show 11cm/1 segments.

I am trying to conclusively find the family of my 2 x gr. grandmother -  so if I am correct this would be the illegitimate child of her sister. I am not sure if such a distant match can prove a connection? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match through an illegitimate child?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 20:47 BST (UK) »
You don't give any details other than your DNA match to an illegitimate child of a 'probable' 3 x g/aunt which seems odd?

When you say 'probable' does this mean you don't have a birth cert. for her naming her parents which would remove the 'probable' & you don't say if you have a BC for the illegitimate child?

What info. have you & your match been able to verify to link you to the 'probable'?

I don't think you have gathered enough info. to work out the connection or have you just not posted what info. you'd checked?

Only this week on MH (where I don't have a tree, I'd uploaded my data), I found a 3rd-4th cousin match 1.1% (78.2‎ cM) Shared DNA, 3 Shared segments, largest segment 51.8‎ cM.
No removes for us as we were born the same era/decade.

His tree consisted of his parents names, neither of which I recognised with only 10 shared matches.

I looked at the surnames listed for some of our shared matches which gave me an idea of which line he was descended from.

Long story short, he was unable to elaborate on his mother's line which I'd luckily worked out was most likely our connection as his father would have (in normal circumstances) descended from the same surname taking it back 1-2 generations & that surname seemed unlikely from shared matches & my own research.

I looked for his mother's death (Scotland) on the index post 1974 which gave me her mother's maiden name, then found the marriage of her parents which I downloaded to get the names of their parents & BINGO!
The g/m of my match was one of several illegitimate children of my 1 cousin 3 x removed.
His gg g/mother was a sister of my gg g/m.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match through an illegitimate child?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 21:55 BST (UK) »
I have not posted all the details that I have. It's complicated!
I really just wanted to know if DNA passed through an illegitimate child could be enough to prove a connection.
Briefly:
My 2x gr. grandparents were under age and "economical with the truth"  when they married
so it has been hard to conclusively find a family for my 2 x gr grandmother - Jane Richardson.
However, my 2 x gr grandfather had a sister who definitely married a John Richardson. I have researched his family in depth and he did have a sister called Jane. He also had another sister, Elizabeth, who was the mother of the illegitimate child so if this is the correct Jane, then Elizabeth would be my 3 x Gr Aunt. My DNA match is with a descendant of this child and I hoped it would prove that I have the correct Jane Richardson!
Sorry,this is difficult to explain but I hope it makes some sense!