Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 5th May  (Read 763 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 5th May
« on: Wednesday 05 May 21 23:51 BST (UK) »
Well, I had an exciting time making a compost bin for our allotment today, from pallets.

The allotment we took over had a compost bin but was in prime position for good vegetables. So after much "umming and arring" (and lots of tea drinking, olympian procrastination and YouTube videos), we decided the best spot would be right at the north end of the plot where the ground isn't so good either.

Out with the old and in with the new!

A great day!

We had "haggis, tatties and neeps" tonight!  I must confess, we did add some peas, (my most humble apologies), but I reckon (possibly?) Rabbie Burns himself would too if he had a freezer and happened to find some. I do hope so, as they were rather good.

I'll sleep well tonight, dreaming of a Compost Bin and also a Haggis being piped in (Paisley, Glasgow). I do hope I don't have a wee Krankie jumping in as I drop off. :)

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 5th May
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:11 BST (UK) »
Good to hear you're embracing the pallet upcycling Trystan, it's amazing what creative ideas people come up with. I thoroughly approve of the copious amounts of tea drinking. The Burns night supper confused me a bit, not because of the peas but because of it being in May!

My day (nowhere near as exciting):

A day much the same as the others recently. A walk in the morning, the sun was shining, a little robin was following me through the woods, hopping from tree to tree.
Gardening in the afternoon. Planted some of my rudbeckia, maybe taking a chance but I've put them in a sheltered spot and I have loads of them so will see how they fare. Moved some other plants around. There was a very light shower at one point, as soon as it arrived it was gone again. Other than that it was lovely in the sunshine but still getting really chilly at night.

Phoned my friend L to see how she was getting on, she's been having a busy time. Later on I had a call from another friend, haven't spoken to her for ages, she has such a busy life working shifts and long hours. It's her birthday on Saturday, she's off work so I'll call round with her present.
Didn't get round to watching the Sewing Bee, will save the delights of the transformation challenge for another day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:18 BST (UK) »
Well, we "Noah-ed Up"* on the click-and-collect from January and caught the spare wee Haggis and threw him in the freezer. :)

* Definition: "Noah-ed up" is when two of an item are procured for a future event. See: Noah

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 21 00:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 21 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness it wasn’t just me getting all confused with eating haggis in May... one of my favourite treats... they don’t taste like they used to though!
Ah compost bins from pallets a worthy use of old pallets... we’ve got two made from them... could really do with a third one.. I’ll bet you’ll get lots of enjoyment from your allotment too... good to see you on the diary Trystan..

Roobarb- how lucky you’ve been today with sunshine and gardening, walking too..
great to hear from someone you’ve not spoken too for a while...

My day

I had an opticians appointment today in a  local town about 10 miles away... having seen on laSt nights news that it has the highest number of infections per 100,000 ( only double figures... something like 45... can’t remember exactly) I was a little anxious as I’ve not been there for over a year and certainly not inside the small shopping centre... OH had volunteered to drive me to save trying to find somewhere to park... never easy.. how nice of him 😀..
Having been dropped off at the right end of the centre meant I only had to go up the escalator and a short walk ... wait outside the opticians .. the one in the advert you should have gone to... once inside hand sanitizer, all staff in ppe and straight to have the two tests they do first... fill in the form then into see optician..sadly prescription has changed so new ones needed... keeping same frames and just chose new sunglasses frame... all in and out in an hour... quick call to OH who picked me up outside the same entrance...
He’d been to Dunelm and bought new washing up bowl... stopped at bakers on the way home...
Popped up the lane to deliver last weeks lottery money to a friend and then home for a much needed cup of coffee...
Whilst sitting in the conservatory our daughter faced timed...
how are you feeling... I asked ( she had first AZ jab yesterday.)
Terrible she said... awful night, hardly any sleep... hot, cold, headache shivers...
Oh dear how are you now...
freezing cold and feel like I’ve been hit by a bus...
Bless her! I then told her I’d heard that younger people suffer more !
Her hubbie going on 8th for his!
We chatted about their W/e away how they’d enjoyed being somewhere different and it had given them all a boost...
Whilst we were chatting it started to snow 😱😱the wet stuff that hit the ground wet then we had small hail stones then large ones bouncing on the ground like miniature golf balls... the temp dropped by nearly 3deg...
after we finished our call we had lunch...
having chatted to daughter about curtain fabric coming from Mali by post she then messages me to say she’s heard it’s just arrived and being delivered to her tomorrow! Only about two weeks ago since it was ordered... post quicker from there than OZ..
Much discussion about going down to stay and make them... all being well with new rules after 17th May I’ll be going down that week for a couple of days... can’t wait... first time in her house since Feb last year... OH not going to come as he’s not much good on a sewing machine.... feel bit sad as I’ll get to see the boys when they come home from school. 😢...
more paperwork for me re the village lottery, a flurry of messages, people paying, asking questions, envelopes coming through the letterbox.... great to have so much support...
OH busy trying to renegotiate our house insurance that’s renewing towards end of the month... quote from existing company gone up by 50%... so he looked online found better deal elsewhere... phoned existing company see if they could match it... immediately dropped price by about 40% 😱 shouldn’t be allowed to quote such high prices then drop straight away... the girl on the end of the phone said that’s all about to change... good thing too... anyway they were still more than other quote so he’s not going to stay with them!
Such a palaver every year...
It continued to rain on and off for the rest of the afternoon before finally clearing up early evening... still chilly outside though..

Had a game of scrabble.... he uses all his tiles up on the first go scoring 78... I manage to claw my way back but he just pips me at the end to win!
Dinner was various bits from the freezer... like to eat it up on regular basis otherwise end up with to many tubs!
Watched the jewellery programme...

Busy day!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 21 04:43 BST (UK) »
Good to see you back on the diary thread Trystan.  ;) It sounds like you made a good call to move your compost bin to a more suitable position, and using pallets is a great idea. What do you grow, or what do you plan to grow on your allotment?

I’m excited to know how you get on with your rudbeckia Roobarb. Since you seemed to be such a sociable person pre covid, it must feel good to be planning to visit to see your friend on her birthday.

It sounds like you are returning to almost normal times Caroline. I hope your daughter makes a quick recovery - it’s quite disturbing how the jab can affect some people and not others. I know the younger groups are more at risk of adverse reactions. I heard that Canada are going to be giving children the jabs so it will interesting to see how they get on. We keep hearing stories about blood clots which is a bit scary.  ::)

Dog sitting on Wednesday for me. Some quite heavy rain in the morning which was unusual but welcome. I was pleased to see that the nasturtium I planted in my daughter’s garden beds have grown well. I planted the seeds higgledy piggeldy rather than in rows, but it seems that only about four or five haven’t come up.

Tracing is underway to find the source of a mystery community covid case in NSW. He is not a returned traveller or a quarantine hotel worker, nor does he have an connections to anyone who is. He was out and about all around Sydney, obviously shopping for a bbq judging by the list of places he visited. He also ate out a lot.  ;)

OH reported our neighbour’s rooster to the council, so they should be getting a letter soon.

Late dog walk after I got home. Dog was very excited to find a cat in the hedge outside our house. I think the cat is feral and hangs around with feral rooster in feral neighbours unkempt yard.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
That NSW case sounds a bit worrying Ruskie. I wonder if a returned traveller has evaded the rules and was an asymptomatic carrier.

Well fun day at work, nearly fell dodging a right hook.  Excuse was "when you said the swab was going in my nose i thought you meant your nose"  :-\

Missed phone call from gas man who is due to come Thursday and didn't notice until i was heading home. Hope he still comes as he was supposed to come last week and didn't.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 May 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Despite this being a Wednesday thread, it is Thursday for me - covid tracing here Pharma is very efficient (mind you we haven’t had that many cases) - however it is still not clear where this guy picked up covid.

Apparently it is a US strain and there is currently someone in hotel quarantine with the same strain but it is a mystery as to how the guy caught it.

His wife has just tested positive too. I feel confident they will put the pieces together and find the source. Meanwhile there are some restrictions in place.

Re your nose swab person - The stupidly of some people is mind boggling.  ::)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 May 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
Oh your poor daughter Caroline, her husband won't be looking forward to his! Couldn't your OH make the trip to your daughter's with you, just for the change of scenery? Or maybe he'd be bored being surrounded by material and ladies who sew. As for the snow and hailstones....  :o :o  Just what you don't want in May. You certainly had a busy day.

The rudbeckia are looking fine today Ruskie, just hoping they continue to thrive, will keep you posted. Good news about the nasturtiums you planted, maybe the others will come up a bit later. Hope they manage to find the source of the covid case, it does sound like a very efficient process there.

PharmaT, how on earth people can behave like that to you beggars belief, thank goodness you managed to avoid any harm to yourself.
Hope the gas man cometh.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham