Author Topic: Kirkcaldy Adie Family  (Read 2500 times)

Offline akAdie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirkcaldy Adie Family
« on: Thursday 06 May 21 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I am REALLY hoping someone sees this and has information on the Adies from Dysart, Kirkcaldy. I am looking for parents of my 4th GG John Adie of Gallatown. He is documented both as John & William Adie, so he possibly went by both names. On his children's death records he is listed as being a baker, a potter, and a weaver. His Dysart Church record of death spells his name "Adaie" and states he was a baker in his 38th year who died on November 27th, 1833. It also says he "was lowered into the grave of William Horn", but I have not been able to find a connection with any Horn family!

His spouse was (my 4th GGrandmother) Agnes Bailie (born 1785?-1864). She was added to the end of John's death record, so is probably buried with him. She was first widowed by David Burnett in 1821. She soon met John Adie and had my 3rd GG John Adie Jr. in 1822. Agnes had 4 children from her 1st marriage (David, Jane, Margaret, & Alexander) and 5 children with John Adie (John, William, Agnes, Elisabeth, & Andrew). Playing the guessing game using naming patterns, John Sr.'s parents would be "William Adie and Elisabeth". My DNA results linked the parents of John Adie to a Hugh Adam and Agnes Kerr, but I feel this is a mistake.

I've tried everything & the family history society was unable to find more information. I was wondering if anyone is connected with this Adie family or knows anything regarding a the family relocating (...possibly from Aberdeen or Midlothian), if anyone knows of any Horn and Adie Family connections, or a local genealogist who would be able to help.

Thank You!

Adie, Baillie, Forker, Halford, Porter, MacK

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkcaldy Adie Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 21 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Agnes Bailie (born 1785?-1864).  5 children with John Adie (John, William, Agnes, Elisabeth, & Andrew).

I note the information on the marriage of David and the children and death of David on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

However I could not find the marriage or births of the other children but I did find the 1851 census.

1851 Parkhead, Dysart – I think this is the family below, Agnes noted as 43 is 63 on SP.
ADIE   Agness   Head   W   F   43   Jack Maker           FIF   Falkland
ADIE   William   Son   U   M   25   Hand Loom Weaver   FIF   Dysart
ADIE   Betty   Dau   U   F   22   Hand Loom Weaver   FIF   Dysart
ADIE   Andrew   Son   U   M   20   Hand Loom Weaver   FIF   Dysart

No birth for Agnes in Fife.

You could check the Kirk Session Records on SP, there are quite a few on SP.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 21 15:29 BST (UK) »
She can't have been only 43 in 1851 if she was first married to David Burnett.

If she was 43 in the day of the 1851 census, she would have been born in 1807/1808.

David Burnet and Agnes Bailie were married in 1814, when she would then have been only 6 or 7 years old.

Therefore her age in the FreeCEN transcription can't be right.

FindMyPast transcribes her age as 63, and her occupation as sack maker, which looks more likely than jack maker, but transcribes the surname as Ache not Adie.

You need to look at the original on Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 June 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
"1851 Parkhead, Dysart – I think this is the family below, Agnes noted as 43 is 63 on SP".

Hi Forfarian as I mentioned it is 63 on SP. Have you any thoughts as to why the birth records are not on SP, it seems strange that none of them appear, I note on SP for Dysart it has this note for 1820-54 records.

# Contains index to B 1820-1854 "Appendix" (surname followed by
forename of child). M 1849-50. Entries for: Herd/Adamson,
Davis/Westwater, Crawford/Hetherton)

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian as I mentioned it is 63 on SP.
Indeed, but unfortunately there are many people who believe transcriptions.

Have you any thoughts as to why the birth records are not on SP, it seems strange that none of them appear, I note on SP for Dysart it has this note for 1820-54 records.

The reason that they are not on SP is they are not in the records in the care of the National Records of Scotland.

Could be any one of many reasons why not
- The parents did not have the children baptised
- The parents neglected to have the baptisms recorded
- The parents belonged to the Episcopal Church or to a dissenting or minor sect whose baptism records, if they ever existed, did not survive.

Probably not a case of them just being forgotten if there are so many of them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline akAdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 June 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
Some things I have found since my original post include an Agnes Baillie marrying a James GRANT in November 1824. I am unsure if this is the same Agnes, but appears to be the only one in Fife during this time. They were married in Abdie & Forgan 1824. Their children appear to have taken the surname Grant. John born/baptized in Forgan Feb 1825, Andrew in Flisk Mar 1827, Robert in Flisk June 1832, & Marion in Flisk Aug 1834.

The birth of John Grant in 1825 doesnt match the birth year of my 3rd gg, John Adie. 1822 was listed on his death record in 1905 and also his obituary "living a long life of 83 years".

I haven't found any other possibilities as far as the name Adie. To me it's strange that there would be a random name change during this time.
Adie, Baillie, Forker, Halford, Porter, MacK

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 June 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
I assume this is your 3xgg you refer to in your post. Records on SP

JOHN ADIE   Died    Age 82   1905   Dysart

JOHN ADIE   Census    1901   age 78   426/ 17/ 21   Dysart   Fife

Colin

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:06 BST (UK) »
In 1901 James Adie 78, is with Henry Adie 33 & Christina Adie age 36

1881 - 184 Rosslyn St Dysart, Fife, all born there.

John   ADIE   Head           M   58   Callender Worker   
Rebecca   ADIE   Wife   M   59      
Rebecca   ADIE   Daur   U   23   Factory Worker   
Christina   ADIE   Daur   U   16   Factory Worker   
Henry   ADIE   Son   U   13   Apprentice Tailor   

Colin

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
JOHN ADIE   Married    REBEKAH FORKER   00/08/1844   Dysart

1851 Gallatown, Dysart
ADIE   John   Head   M   M   29   Hand Loom Weaver   FIF   Dysart      
ADIE   Rebece   Wife   M   F   29      FIF   Gallatown      
ADIE   John   Son   -   M   5   Scholar   FIF   Gallatown      
ADIE   Alexander   Son   -   M   4      FIF   Gallatown      
ADIE   William   Son   -   M   1      FIF   Gallatown      

Colin