Author Topic: Possible baptism of Margaret Meany  (Read 299 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible baptism of Margaret Meany
« on: Sunday 09 May 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been looking for a baptism for some years of my great great grandmother, believed to have been born around 1840. Her marriage in 1868 in Waterford (register office) says she and William, her husband-to-be, are both resident in Greenville, Kilkenny, and lists her father as Edward Meany (deceased, woolcarder).

I've just found this entry in St Peter and St Paul, Clonmel, but can't make out what it says for the father. It says she was illegitimate, but is the father Edward (Meany) and mother Margaret Leahy? And any ideas for the surnames of the god-parents, David? and Ellona Meany?

I've attached a few lines for matching; the entry i'm looking at is the middle of the 5 entries.

Thanks  :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible baptism of Margaret Meany
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
I see sponsors David Connor/Coonon [edit: meant to type Connon  :-[] & Ellina Hennesy.

Baptism is in August 1840 for anyone else looking. Still looking for similiar capitals to father's forename. Some forenames have been latinised but not all.

ADDED: I think it says 'Edvardus'

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 21 17:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry Josey, didn't realise i'd cropped out the date. I can see Hennesy more than Meany now for the god-mother.

That's what i wanted it to be for father's name but wasn't convinced it started with 'E' ;D
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 21 12:48 BST (UK) »

is the father Edward (Meany) and mother Margaret Leahy? And any ideas for the surnames of the god-parents, David? and Ellona Meany?

I agree with parents' names. Part of capital "L" has faded. Capital "M" for Meany and Marg't are alike.
I mainly agree with josey about sponsors' names. Not clear if David's surname is Connor, Conner or Connon or Connen. I read other sponsor as Ellena Hennesy so her first name would likely have been
 Ellen.
Cowban

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 May 21 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone, I don’t have any idea about the god—parents / sponsors but will add the names to my ‘possible’ baptism entry on my tree for Margaret. Can’t find out anything else about her parents either, though Margaret appears to have had a brother, Edward, born around 1845.