Author Topic: Where do I go from here? Losing hope...  (Read 1309 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I go from here? Losing hope...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 05:18 BST (UK) »
Ruskie...

That's a good piece of info!

I hadn't thought about MH being useful for Jewish connections but it makes sense with the site being Israeli.

Annie

I’ve heard others say similar Annie.  :)
( I have loads at least. ) Hopefully it might give Queenie some direction - or confuse things even more.  ;D

Added: Keep in mind Queenie that more and more people are taking DNA tests, so you never know what matches might turn up in the future, so don’t give up hope.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
This may be helpful...

https://www.danaleeds.com/dna-color-clustering-the-leeds-method-for-easily-visualizing-matches/

Annie

Thank you, I have made an attempt to cluster matches as best as I can. There are about 7 'groups' that I cannot link to my tree. A few of these groups have no trees attached to any of the matches which has made it rather impossible to see how we are related.

MyHeritage is looking like a good bet. I will pay for the special tools to see if I can get a better idea. No Jewish DNA through Ancestry but they also gave me 27% Scottish DNA even though I have matches through all of my mother's very English grandparents  ::) Definitely need to work on their ethnicity estimates and their DNA tools. I was surprised by how rudimentary their interface was considering they have the largest database.

Thanks everyone for your input - I can see that it will take some time to solve this mystery but I am in it for the long-haul!

Queenie  :)

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 May 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
I haven't tested with Ancestry, but from what I have read on other threads over the years, they do seem to be missing some of the good features that other sites include.

Still, they do have the largest database. Those non stop ads must have worked to get people in.  :)

Don't take too much notice of the ethnicity estimates on any of the sites. They do vary, and do change.