Author Topic: Thomas Martindale, Scotter  (Read 4240 times)

Offline wobbly

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Thomas Martindale, Scotter
« on: Sunday 08 August 04 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thomas Martindale, married Louise Dixon(my great-grandmother) at the Jubilee Chapel, Scarborough, on 6th November, 1875. At the time he was a Primitive methodist minister, a widower and was living at Scotter at the time of his marriage. His father, George Martindale(deceased) was a draper & tailor. Has anyone else and information about this surname at all?

Wobbly
Yorkshire: Readman, Redman , Bowser(Leeds,Scarborough, Selby & Hull), Dufton(Selby, Leeds) Durham: Sowerby. Lincolnshire; Readman, Doughty, Sneath, Musson, Clayton. Cambridgeshire: Belding

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Martindale, Scotter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 04 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Wobbly,
Do you have an approximate birth year for Thomas? I have found one in Lincolnshire with a father called George but I think it may be too early for you in 1832, but then he had been married before. This Thomas does have siblings if you required them. Regards, Frances

MARTINDALE, Thomas   Christening
   Christening Date:   29 Jan 1832   Recorded in:   West Halton, Lincolnshire, England
   Father:   George MARTINDALE
   Mother:   Sarah
Source:   FHL Film 1450417   Dates:   1711 - 1876   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline wobbly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 04 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thomas was born around 1846, and his father was George.

Wobbly
Yorkshire: Readman, Redman , Bowser(Leeds,Scarborough, Selby & Hull), Dufton(Selby, Leeds) Durham: Sowerby. Lincolnshire; Readman, Doughty, Sneath, Musson, Clayton. Cambridgeshire: Belding

Offline wobbly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,

Yes I found that one myself using BIVTI, is that where you found it?

No it's the wrong Thomas, he was born around 1846, so guess I will have to search again using either BMD or else the GRO. Fortunately Martindale is not to a common surname.

Wobbly

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Wobbly,

I was in Scunthorpe library yesterday and had a quick look for your Thomas Martindale.

I checked the 1871 census index for Scotter and the surname 'Martindale' wasn't listed.

The library has compiled an information pack on each village with photocopied pages from trade directories and I had a look at the Scotter one.  There is a Rev. Thomas Martindale (Primitive Methodist) listed in Scotter in Kelly's P.O. Directory of Lincolnshire 1876.  There were also two other Primitive Methodist ministers listed but the page had been badly copied and their names were unclear.  From a local history book on Scotter (sorry, didn't note the title) it said that a new Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in Scotter in 1860 with a house on either side of the road for the ministers, but that there must also have been a third ministers house in the village as for a long period of time Scotter had three primitive methodist ministers.

The next trade directory listed for Scotter was dated 1882 and Thomas Martindale wasn't mentioned.

Regards,
Sasha.  :)

Offline wobbly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sasha,

That's great! It must have been a hot bed of primitive Methodism there in Scotter at that time and quite a high population to keep 3 ministers going.

Wobbly

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Wobbly,

Scotter's not all that big, but there are a few little villages and hamlets around to swell the population slightly.

There was something else in the book about a methodist bargeman taking his barge across the river to pick up members of the congregation to bring them to the Chapel at Scotter and them all singing aboard the barge as it went down river.  :)

Sasha.

Offline wobbly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 September 04 21:24 BST (UK) »
Sasha,

Now that must be the River Trent, on the other bank would have been Epworth, very Wesleyan if I remember!

Michael Row the boat ashore perhaps!!

Wobbly