Author Topic: pdf or jpg  (Read 707 times)

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
pdf or jpg
« on: Saturday 15 May 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Having had a couple of years not putting information into a family history programme, i have finally got round to sorting my records out. Most of them are jpgs but is it best to keep them as such or change to a pdf or even a tmp.
I don’t want to change them unnecessarily, but have had (in the past) them not opening, not sure why, but it was a windows pc whereas i’m using a mac now.
Any advice welcomed.
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pdf or jpg
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 21 15:34 BST (UK) »
It would depend on which progamme you are using for your family tree. I have a tree on Ancestry and Family Hsitorian which accepts both file types.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
Are you asking about files that you're going to be including in your FH program, or simply about long term storage which is totally separate?

If you're planning to put them in the program (or might conceivably do so in future), you might need to think about how you want them to appear: you'll probably be able to see a jpg as is, but a pdf might just appear as a file icon. It all depends on the program and how it handles different file types.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 May 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Re pdfs -  Ancestry requires you to download to view but will store them in Media Gallery without any problems
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 May 21 07:35 BST (UK) »
Are you asking about files that you're going to be including in your FH program, or simply about long term storage which is totally separate?

If you're planning to put them in the program (or might conceivably do so in future), you might need to think about how you want them to appear: you'll probably be able to see a jpg as is, but a pdf might just appear as a file icon. It all depends on the program and how it handles different file types.

Both, really, I didn't realise that a pdf might appear as a file icon, I was trying to make sure that all would be viewable in the future.
Yorkshire - Turner

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 21 11:05 BST (UK) »
Maybe you could do a bit of experimenting in your FH program - get a few jpg files and attach them to whatever it lets you (individuals, families, places, facts/events, sources, citations etc), and see how they appear on screen and in any reports etc. Then try the same with pdfs.

You might also get useful tips from any support forum the program has - plus of course any documentation etc provided by the company.

One thing to consider might be file sizes, and how this affects the overall size of your FH program data and backups. If I were doing this (must get round to it some time!) I think in some cases I'd keep a higher quality master copy outside the program, and one with smaller file size inside it.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
...I was trying to make sure that all would be viewable in the future.

In the old days one of the things we had to think about was what format to save things in if we wanted to be able to open them in the long-term future.

Both pdf and jpg formats are so ubiquitous that this isn't going to be an issue - there will be applications that can open and convert both formats so far into the future that none of us here today will ever have to worry about that issue.

In terms of choosing between them, jpg is a format which was designed for efficient storage of images. Pdf is a format which was designed as a format which allowed documents of various types (including images) to be viewed on the widest range of systems and applications.

An image has to be processed to put it into a pdf - the pdf acts as a kind of 'wrapper' around the image. That processing may include resampling, compression and cropping (depending on the application and settings). As a rule, processing an image in this way takes something away from it - either detail, size, or extent.

So converting a jpg to pdf is likely to degrade the image (though not necessarily by a noticeable amount), but more importantly, converting from pdf back to jpg can give a result very different to the original image.

Therefore I wouldn't convert jpg files to pdf unless the application I was using would only work with pdf, or if opening a jpg file rather than pdf had such an effect on performance that the application becomes unusable.

However, most future problems can be avoided by always keeping a 'master' copy of the images as a jpg with zero or very slight compression, and having a 'working' copy in whatever format is needed for the application being used.

TL;DR - stick with jpg unless you have problems with them. If you do have problems, try and work out why.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 21 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ll keep the files as they are
Jo
Yorkshire - Turner