Author Topic: What Happened to Harry Steele?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
What Happened to Harry Steele?
« on: Saturday 15 May 21 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Harry Steele was born 1880, Eccleshall, Staffordshire to George Steele (1833) and Fanny Harris (1844)
Harry enlisted with the 5th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry 21st Feb 1900, and was discharged 18th June 1901. He was in South Africa, 14/4/00 - 10/6/01. (Address at time of enlistment, Aston Farm, Aston, Shropshire)
On the 1911 census Harry's father George lists 3 of his children has died. I have worked out that Harry is one of these three... But I can't find a death or any other record for him.
So at some point Harry died betweem 10th June 1901 and the 2nd April 1911.
I have checked freebmd for deaths of a Harry Steele within those years and these isn't one of the right age.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction to find him.

Thanks
Katie
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened to Harry Steele?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 21 15:43 BST (UK) »
So does it say where he was discharged to?

Maybe he never came home from South Africa so his death will be overseas. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
His record states he was home for 8 days before discharge.
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 May 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
Also there is a newspaper article in July 1901 of when they went to London to receive their medals from the King. 'Trooper H.Steele' is listed.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 May 21 18:09 BST (UK) »

After Serving in South Africa, Harry might have had a taste for Adventure, and possibly Emigrated. Have You searched for Imigration Arrivals, for South Africa, Australia, Canada, USA etc.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 May 21 18:11 BST (UK) »
I have thought the same. However I can't see anything that I can definitely say is him. His occupation when he enlisted is Farmer. And the only Harry I have seen leaving the country is an Engineer.

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
hi,  i am not sure if could be right, but my great grand mother edith vernon who lived in cheshire and north wales left her husband wesley hooley and went to canada with a harry steele.  i do have photos of harry but know nothing about him.

would it be the same, although could be just a common name
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 January 22 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it’s quite possible. What year did they go to Canada?
I know from his enlistment that Harry was 6ft1, brown hair and blue eyes. Does your photos of him look to have dark hair and light eyes? And maybe massive hands too, it seems to be a trait of the Steele men.

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 January 22 22:54 GMT (UK) »
hi katie,

it is a very dark photo and he is so much older wearing a hat.  did not look very tall.  he went to canada with my great grandmother in 1917, she was edith vernon.  she left my great grand dad with the children.  i am in contact with my relatives over in now usa, although saying that they have gone a bit quiet at the moment, so i am a bit worried about them.  i will try and contact them again and ask what his job was.  i understood he was the gardner at my great grand dads house, but that might not be true and just being nasty that she ran off.  do you have any other information about the steele family as one of my relatives sent a lot of photos very old, and i have no idea who they are.  i will look for them and see if they mean anything to you.  steph
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire