Author Topic: William Johnsey burial 1833 Shorncote, Gloucestershire  (Read 521 times)

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Johnsey burial 1833 Shorncote, Gloucestershire
« on: Thursday 20 May 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry this post is so long! I have a brick wall for William Johnsey/Johnsea/Joncey who was buried in Shorncote, Gloucestershire in 1833. I think he married Sarah Stop in Kempsford in 1815 and his 1st son Henry was born there. His 2nd son Job was born in Shorncote and I haven’t found any further children. I can’t find a birth for William in that exact area but he was an agricultural labourer so I’m assuming he may have come from another village. So I am trying to research all the William Johnseys around Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire borders but I have a number of questions about how to go about this...
I am assuming he was born around 1760-1797 but there was no age on the marriage or burial records so I have based this on his death, marriage and wife’s age.
There are potential matches in Idbury, Fifield, Fulbrook, Coberley, Compton Abdale.
The most interesting is the family born in Compton Abdale to William & Mary. They have a son called William b.1760 and Thomas b.1767 who possibly marries Ann Smith in Whittington in 1801 and Thomas & Ann have a son called William b.1802 in Colesbourne who marries Jane Gegg in 1828 & has children including William, Henry & Job who all seem to end up in N. & S. Cerney as does Henry, son of my Willliam.
1. Am I barking up the right trees in terms of dates?
2. How far could he have travelled from his birthplace? Are these locations feasible? I have found a marriage of a William Joncey of Brimsfield to Mary Young of Coln Rogers in Bibury 1749 which might match the parents of the family in Compton Abdale (father - William was a shepherd).
3. How do I find out if the parish records for the villages are complete on Ancestry or Find my past?
4. How do I best use wild cards to pick up name variants? So far I have seen Johnsy, Jonsey, Joncy, Joncey, Jancy, Johnsea, Johnson, Jauncy, Johnsee. Is there a combination which will capture them all but exclude all the Jones?
5. Should I be looking at him marrying younger than 18?
6. I don’t live close enough to the Gloucestershire archives to be able to visit at the moment but if I can what other records can I look at to trace the journey of an Ag Lab from birth place to burial? As I am not sure how to confirm if any potential matches are him.
7. If I am trying to do research on friends & family before census data should I be looking into siblings, witnesses to marriages and/or all the residents of the town through the parish records and neighbouring towns too? It seems like a needle in a haystack for Ag Labs.

While I appreciate anyone looking up records for me (especially if you find anything I have missed!) what I would really like is advice & strategies so I can do it myself.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnsey burial 1833 Shorncote, Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few Jouncey's around the area - so really need more detail on Henry*  and Job etc.

Gloucestershire Genelogical Database, Henry JOUNSEY 2 January 1849 aged 31 - Labourer, South Cerney (Goal record)

Also Shorncote is Gloucestershire/Wiltshire etc.

Assume this is the 1841 census for Shorncote, Wiltshire

// double lines indicate end of one household and start of another

Sarah Jounsey - 60 - Ind - not born in County
Job Jouncey - 20 - Ag lab - born in County  (can see his marriage on Ancestry & Criminal record)

also marriage at South Cerney - 1844
when Henry JOUNSEY married Eliza BARNES and Job JOHNSEY - signed his name with an X

---

Up until the 1929 marriage Act - Girls could marry at age 12 and boys age 14.

My x Grandmother married at Ampney Cruis aged 13/14 in 1821.

Henry & Job would be family names.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 May 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Just looking at the marriage in 1828 at North Cerney of

William JOHNSEY to Jane GEGG - witnesses: Henry GEGG and Ann JOHNSEY

in 1841 at Woodmancote - this couple do appear to have family names, i.e. William Ann, Henry, Job etc.

Willm JOHNSEY - 35 - Ag Lab
Jane - 30
Henry - 11
Mary 9
Jane - 7
Elizabeth - 5
Job
Moses - 2
Infant

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 May 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Capetown,
You helped me before with research into Henry b.1815 Shorncote. Him and his brother Job were rouges stealing wool from Siddington.
What other details do you want on them?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802057.0

I didn’t find any William Johnsey’s in Wiltshire in the 1700’s they seem to have ended up there later in the 1800’s which eventually leads onto my Grandfather in Swindon.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 21 17:02 BST (UK) »
There is a Public Members Tree on Ancestry for

Thomas JOHNSY - birth 1767, Compton Abdale, Cotswold District, Gloucester

father: William JONCEY 1787 - who married Anne SMITH - 5 August 1801 in Withington, Gloucestershire -

------

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
That might be mine! McCracken/Johnsey tree?
I have been messing around with a floating tree seeing if I can fit these families together.