Author Topic: Adoption  (Read 899 times)

Offline indigo78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption
« on: Saturday 22 May 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering how i would go about tracing records on a family member who was adopted? Story has it they were abandoned as a baby in Kirkcudbright scotland abt 1949-1950. I've been looking to see if I can find any newspaper articles but have been  unsuccessful.
Where would I start?
Gillard, Bowden,Burden,Lock,Rowe,Sartn,Chitty.
Places of interest, Somerset, Devon, Dorset,Surrey

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
This might be the place to start:
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/adoption-records
Indeed, and especially this paragraph

Who Can Inspect the Legal Records of an Adoption?
Adoption processes are among the most confidential records we and the courts hold. They are closed to general public access for 100 years. This means that our staff are forbidden to examine them. Each process is individually sealed and the indexes themselves are restricted. The processes may, however, be opened to access in the following circumstances:
    to the adopted person if he or she is over 16 years of age. They must produce some independent proof of their identity (passport, driving licence, staff pass from place of employment, etc)
    to a person authorised in writing by the adopted person. A copy of this authorisation must be given to us. By law, our staff cannot inspect a process on behalf of an adopted person
    to a representative of one of the organisations that deal with adoptions in Scotland, or to an authorised social worker on the authority, in writing, of the adopted person
    exceptionally, and on application to the court that originally dealt with the adoption, a person other than the adoptee may be allowed to inspect the adoption process. This is very rare and is usually only granted for reasons such as medical grounds.
Once it has been examined, the packet of process papers is resealed in the presence of the person who has read them.  All enquiries are kept confidential.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline indigo78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 May 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
This might be the place to start:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/adoption-records

Thank you i've just found out she was fostered by her neighbour. Her birth date was the 1st of august 1949 at dumfries maternity hospital but i cant seem to find a birth registered for her. Are scottish birth records available online?
Gillard, Bowden,Burden,Lock,Rowe,Sartn,Chitty.
Places of interest, Somerset, Devon, Dorset,Surrey

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 May 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
This is the place for Scottish records:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 May 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Are scottish birth records available online?
Yes, but for those less than 100 years ago you can only view the index online. To see the full certificate you have to send off to buy a copy.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.