Author Topic: Holt (s) in Dumfriesshire  (Read 1003 times)

Offline specterman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holt (s) in Dumfriesshire
« on: Saturday 22 May 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
 I'm trying to find any information on a Holt or Holts family that were from Dumfriesshire. When I was young my grandmother Lizzy Holt said she had a cousin or cousins there. My grandmother's maiden name was Holt but apparently, her ancestors at least in Britain were Holts.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Holt (s) in Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Specterman

Just doing general seaches on the official Scottish BMD site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk Searching just in Dumfries-shire for births for example, brings up just 148 entries between 1855-2021. There are no birth entries for Holts (nor marriage or death entries on the index for Dumfries-shire).

Not sure how much detail you have on your grandmother's ancestors but if you have some names, why not register with SP (it is free to register and search, you just pay for images viewed) and check what shows?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline specterman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica! The problem is The letters and albums that my Grandmother had years ago are long disappeared. I do know she went to a wedding (I think in Dumfriesshire) in the late 50's for a relative. It's really hard to put the dots on the I's when there's not a lot to go on. Also Just because she went to a wedding in Dumfriesshire doesn't necessarily mean her cousin lived there. She did tell me years ago that the family on her side came from Britain then migrated to Scotland, Ireland and Germany like so many other families.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 June 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
As mentioned there are records on SP for the name Holt in Dumfriesshire. Between 1950 & 1960 there were only 9 marriages (Male & Female). So a little more information on your grandmother could lead somewhere.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
There are 10 marriages of a Holt in Dumfriesshire in the 1945-1955 on SP:

Alan
Frederick x 2
Roberta
Elizabeth x 2
Margaret x 2
Marjorie
Edward

As the others have said, more information would help.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:02 BST (UK) »
.....and 4 in the 1955-60 period

Iris
Dorothy
Margaret
Gordon.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline specterman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
Boy, I sure wish I had some more information, everyone who would have known anything are now dead but for some reason Iris jumps out in my memory, maybe something my mother said. My only hope is reaching out to one cousin who may have ended up with my Grandmothers scrapbooks, that might have something as she wrote names on the backs of all the pictures. (Theres something people dont do anymore that they should. Kids 50 years from now will have nothing to look back on their parents and grandparents unless they inherit their IPhone or thumbdrive LOL)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
Even the names, location and approximate years of birth etc of your grandparents, providing they are deceased, which from your post I suspect they are, may lead somewhere?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline specterman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 June 21 12:34 BST (UK) »
Well I do have that information. My grandmothers name was Lizzie she was born in Illinois in 1899, her father was August also born in Illinois. I believe his father was Herman born in Illinois then it gets sketchy. We think they came to Illinois from Virginia. Before that they were in Meclanburg Germany coming from Scotland. I know, lots of luck lol. I've done quite a bit of reading about the Scot/Irish influx into the Baltic region of Germany before immigrating to America in the mid to late 1700's. So for at least my family we probably all (Holts) originated in britain then to Scotland and Ireland, then Germany finally ending up in the US. Of course some Holts stayed in each of these places while others immigrated spreading the family tree. But if you go back far enough I think the family name originated with Hugo De Holt the Knights Templar around 1100.