Author Topic: Alaska: Gavin Fowlie 1880s onwards  (Read 1097 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alaska: Gavin Fowlie 1880s onwards
« on: Monday 24 May 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
Gavin Fowlie was a Scottish-born carpenter who according to the 1901 Canada census arrived in the Yukon about 1883. He later became a member of the Yukon Order of Pioneers and died in Dawson in 1931. I would very much like to know when exactly he arrived in Canada and whether he lived in any other part of it before arriving in the Yukon. Any help very much appreciated.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska: Gavin Fowlie 1880s onwards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 May 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
I think he may be here , transcribed as Fowlis :

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-quebec-port-1865-1900/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=132043&

Aged 23 , arrived Quebec on the ship Scandinavian 3 May 1883 , destination Winnipeg.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 May 21 16:03 BST (UK) »
You may or may not have seen this article

Whitehorse Daily Star Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
23 Apr 1920, Fri    Page 3

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/78226196/gavin-fowlie-23-april-1920/

11 Jan 1918, Fri    Page 2

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/78226377/mr-fowlie-11-jaiuary-1918/

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 May 21 16:08 BST (UK) »

5 Mar 1920, Fri    Page 1

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/78226447/gavin-fowlie-5-march-1920/

Sandra

Previous background - https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758544.0
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 May 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra and Christine!
Thank you so much for your amazingly speedy response to my query. I did know that he'd got involved in Yukon politics but I hadn't seen these articles. Thank you too for the shipping record, yes this is definitely him I'm sure. You may like to know that his brother Peter, a doctor, was involved in politics in Singapore and was elected to the municipal council. An interesting parallel between brothers at opposite sides of the world!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning All,
Been a while since I paid a visit to RootsChat.

Yes Gavin was the one who spent time up in the Yukon. I still have gaps in the background for him and I will get onto it when I finish my current research.

I wanted to comment on the Peter Fowlie (1867-1943) who was mentioned as being involved in Singapore. He was a doctor and because of his involvement in the community, he was appointed a a commissioner. I think it was an appointment in recognition of his service rather than his political aspirations. He and his wife Mary Lawrence had two sons: Patrick Mulligan (?-?) and James Lawrence (1894-1917) James was killed during WWI in France. Patrick went on to become the President of Shell Oil Company in Canada. I don't know that Gavin was related to Peter and Mary, but maybe there is a link there somewhere.

Hope this may assist.
Regards,
Warren
Aotearoa, New Zealand
FOWLIE, FOWLLIE, FOULIE, also FAWLIE (Scotland Census), sometimes FOWLER, historically FOULZIE and other variations noted.

Offline Warren Fowlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 September 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
  :) Retraction
I need to do a bit more checking and reading the posts with less haste. I didn't pickup the point that Gavin and Peter were brothers. Most likely and as I commented, I need to get back to Gavin and follow his family connection. Sorry for the misstep :)
Warren
FOWLIE, FOWLLIE, FOULIE, also FAWLIE (Scotland Census), sometimes FOWLER, historically FOULZIE and other variations noted.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 October 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Warren

Yes, Gavin Jr and Peter Fowlie were brothers. Peter Fowlie was a member of the municipal commission in Singapore, but this was an elected position, not one awarded on merit. He represented Tanjong Pagar ward. Patrick Mulligan Fowlie, Peter's younger son, was named after a friend of Peter's from university and his dates were 1899-1965.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 14:51 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Patrick M. Fowlie in the Globe & Mail newspaper dated December 2, 1965:

Patrick M. Fowlie, of Avenue Road (Toronto), president of Shell Canada Ltd. from 1930 to 1948, died yesterday after a coronary thrombosis.  Born in Singapore, educated in Scotland and at Woolwich in England; served in Europe during WWI.  Later in India with the Imperial Army as a gunnery officer.   Was with Royal Dutch Shell in London before coming to Canada where he headed Shell Canada for 18 years before turning to England to administer Royal Dutch Shell pension plan. Upon retirement in 1957, he returned to Canada.  Leaves his wife, the former Ruby Price.  No indication of any children.