Author Topic: George Wright, born Rothes 5/12/1878 subsequently of Messing, Transvaal. Look up  (Read 615 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George was a son of Alexander Wright and Jane Leslie. The only other thing I know about him is the entry NM299039 in online index of Moray Heritage Centre . The source of the entry is newspaper N.S issue of 6/6/1925, Page 6 col 1. This article apparently states that he was a manager for Natal Bank and lived at Messing , North Transvaal , S. Africa and that he died (?) there post 1924 (?)

N S, I take to refer to Northern Scot and Moray and Nairn Express. The online newspaper archive I use doesn't have issues for that year. Can anyone local do a look up and report exactly what it says ?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Wright, born Rothes 5/12/1878 subsequently of Messing, Transvaal. Look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
Can't see it, but did come across an article about a dinner given in his honour when he came home for a visit in 1904.

Must be a veritable nest of Wrights in Rothes. I came across another George Wright about to leave for Vredefort, to join his father, Alexander Wright, late of Rothes, in March 1904.

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Wright, born Rothes 5/12/1878 subsequently of Messing, Transvaal. Look up
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
For that Wright family see The Nairnshire Telegraph of Dec 8th 1914. They came from Tiendland near Elgin. Their Alexander was for a time a chemist in Rothes, the article says. His brother William was mayor of Winburgh in S Africa, a sister (Mrs McIntosh) resided at South Guildry St Elgin.