Author Topic: Hanson Family  (Read 470 times)

Offline georgehanson96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanson Family
« on: Thursday 27 May 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I am trying to find information about John Abthorp Bentham Hanson. He was originally born in Sunderland in 1905 but I was told that he was sent to Herne Bay for education when he was a young boy (He doesn't show as living with this parents on the 1911 Census record). I was wondering if anyone had any information or knows where to look for information about his education? I'm drawn to a complete blank.

Thanks,
George

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hanson Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 May 21 15:12 BST (UK) »
I presume this is John?

Marriage June qtr 1933
Sunderland Registration District     vol 10a, page 1313

Hanson, John A B
Murdy, Sophia A W
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline georgehanson96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
I presume this is John?

Marriage June qtr 1933
Sunderland Registration District     vol 10a, page 1313

Hanson, John A B
Murdy, Sophia A W

There are two Johns of the same name. I believe that one was the nephew of the one I am looking at. The John I am currently looking at married Alice Piggott in 1933 in Berkshire. The period of time I am trying to find information on would have been when he was in the Herne Bay Area. The only records I have found are his birth record in Sunderland and then his marriage record in Berkshire - but nothing of the time period when he was in Herne Bay.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
What was his father's occupation?

Many organisations (e.g. Unions, Railways) had convalescent homes in seaside areas.
He may have been suffering from something like T.B. and sent away to recuperate.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline georgehanson96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 21 15:38 BST (UK) »
His father was a joiner. I was told that apparently his sister took him out of the family home and a friend of his sisters paid for his education - I'm not sure if this helps in finding out information though.

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 May 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
There is a John Hanson born in Sunderland showing as a visitor in a hotel in Ticehurst, East Sussex who doesn’t appear to have anyone with the same surname with him.

Do any of the other guests names look familiar.

Nic

Offline georgehanson96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 May 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
There is a John Hanson born in Sunderland showing as a visitor in a hotel in Ticehurst, East Sussex who doesn’t appear to have anyone with the same surname with him.

Do any of the other guests names look familiar.

Nic

Is that on the 1911 Census? I've taken a look at that record but I don't seem to find anybody else's name that has any link or familiarity. I would have thought though that if that is him, he must have been staying with one of the guests on the record though?

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 May 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
The 1911 was a summer census, I don’t know when schools would have gone on their summer break, but if he was in the Herne Bay Area then he would have been in the ‘Garden of England’ where there was a large seasonal population who moved out of town to crop pick. So his school may have been on holiday.