Author Topic: Hartley Road, Luton  (Read 786 times)

Offline Michelle Rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hartley Road, Luton
« on: Monday 31 May 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
This is a bit of a strange information request, but I am a little lost as to where to look!

I am looking for ANY INFORMATION AT ALL (thought I'd stress that!) on a dye factory or laboratory located in Hartley Road, Luton at the beginning to mid 1900's.

In looking for info, I have confirmed it was there- I have a first hand story of a woman who was at the girls school in Charles Street, Luton from 1946-47. The children used to see the coloured bubbles from the dye factory floating over the playground and were told they were from the factory on Hartley Road. In the 1980's, a neighbour also confirmed that it used to be there, but stopped operating in or just before the '60's.

I believe it may have been called Dyers International, but can't find anything on Dyers for the time period I'm looking at. Also, the bare info I have found states that Dyers was located at 32, Hartley Road, yet I know for a fact that the building opposite number 38 was used to mix the dyes (I believe it was number 33 or 35- it is now new buildings). However, I can't find any connection to that address and Dyers.

In later years, the buildings appearance was quite distinctive. It was painted white and had blue window frames. For decades, the windows were painted white and it was used as a building to store timber for the coffin makers across the road (at number 32).

There were two 'scientists' that worked there while it was a dye factory- a blonde woman and a man with brown hair & glasses- and I am trying to find out who they were.

I no longer have access to the 1939 census (can't afford a subscription to ancestry right now) or else would have gone straight there.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Friary (Friery/ Friereagh)- Granard, Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Shannon- Dublin
Reddington/Reddin- Dublin
Ryan- Dublin & Galway
Lynch- Dublin/ Co. Meath
McKeon- Co. Longford
Magovern (Magouran/ Smith)- Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Brennan- Co. Wexford
Doyle- Sligo
Burns- Co. Monaghan
Rooney- Co. Monaghan
McKenna- Co. Monaghan/ Co. Meath
Campbell- Co. Monaghan
Clusky (McClusky)- Co. Monaghan
Kerley- Co. Monaghan
McGahan- Co. Monaghan
Halfpenny- Co. Monaghan
Fagan- Co. Meath

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Hartley Road, Luton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 21 12:17 BST (UK) »

I no longer have access to the 1939 census (can't afford a subscription to ancestry right now) or else would have gone straight there.

It is possible to do a free search of the 1939 register on FindMyPast.  We are not allowed to search it for you.

In case you are not aware there is an ongoing thread about a 50% discount on Ancestry.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michelle Rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hartley Road, Luton
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I'll try Findmypast now.
Friary (Friery/ Friereagh)- Granard, Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Shannon- Dublin
Reddington/Reddin- Dublin
Ryan- Dublin & Galway
Lynch- Dublin/ Co. Meath
McKeon- Co. Longford
Magovern (Magouran/ Smith)- Co. Longford/ Co. Cavan
Brennan- Co. Wexford
Doyle- Sligo
Burns- Co. Monaghan
Rooney- Co. Monaghan
McKenna- Co. Monaghan/ Co. Meath