Author Topic: Burial place for Joseph Liggett  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial place for Joseph Liggett
« on: Tuesday 01 June 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking to find the burial place of Joseph Liggett who died aged 83 on the 7th June 1870 at Derrycreevey, Carnteel in the parish of Aghaloo (sourced from RootsIreland).  I have contacted the Presbyterian churches of Glenhoy, Minterburn, Aughnacloy and Upper Clonaneese which are all nearby to Carnteel but their records do not go back to this time.  The graveyards have also been checked but no visible gravestones. Can anyone suggest how I find where he would be buried please?

I have also contacted Ballygawley Presbyterian church to try and confirm his marriage details on 11 Oct 1816 to Margaret Robinson but again, their records do not go back far enough.  Is there anywhere else I could try to get these details?

Many thanks in advance.
Lyn

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place for Joseph Liggett
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 11:10 BST (UK) »
Statutory recording of marriages only started in 1845. Prior to that only the church maintained records, and even those were often incomplete.  According to the PRONI guide to church records, Ballygawley Presbyterian’s records start in 1842. So prior to that they either weren’t keeping any, or the records are lost.  There are no alternative sources in that situation.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church after which she’d attend her husband’s. So it’s possible that the marriage was in a different church but if it was in Ballygawley then there are no records to find.

Regarding burial places, Presbyterians generally didn’t keep burial records as you have evidently found. You haven’t said what Joseph’s occupation was. If a farm labourer then he probably couldn’t afford a gravestone and so would be buried in an unmarked grave. The vast majority of the population in the 1800s were in unmarked graves. If that is the case, then again if the family don’t know, then you may struggle to find it.  If he was a farmer then a gravestone is more likely.

People weren’t always buried in the graveyards of the church they attended (there might have been a family plot elsewhere) and it’s common to find Presbyterians in Church of Ireland graveyards. But if there wasn’t a gravestone, you will struggle to find the place of burial. It wasn’t common in rural areas to put a notice in the papers and so that’s unlikely to help either.
Elwyn

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help Elwyn.  Joseph's occupation was that of a farmer so I was rather hoping to have found a gravestone.  Could I ask - would you know where would RootsIreland have got the information from about his death?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 13:01 BST (UK) »
Joseph Liggett who died aged 83 on the 7th June 1870 at Derrycreevey, Carnteel in the parish of Aghaloo (sourced from RootsIreland).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp (certificate not yet available to view but can be view from GRONI's database.
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
........Joseph Liggett who died aged 83 on the 7th June 1870 at Derrycreevey, Carnteel in the parish of Aghaloo (sourced from RootsIreland). 

Derrycreevy is in the civil parish of Carnteel. Aghaloo civil parish is to the south-east of Carnteel.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/carnteel/
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/aghaloo/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that.  It looks like the information I already have from RootsIreland but I will order the death cert in the hope that it may reveal the burial site.

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 13:46 BST (UK) »
Have just been able to view the death cert online.  Thanks for all your help.  Unfortunately it still doesn't give the location of his burial which is a shame. :(

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
Irish death certificates do not list place of burial.

Was he married? If his wife died later have you tried looking for a newspaper notice for her place of burial?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lyn54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
Of course they don't - I have my stupid head on today!

Joseph was a widow when he died and their last child was born in 1830 so she would have passed away between then and 1870.  My gut feeling is she may well have died shortly after 1830 as there are no death listings for her.

Thanks for your time.