Author Topic: Sheffiel General Cemetery - Grave Plot location of a Barnsley man  (Read 1463 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sheffiel General Cemetery - Grave Plot location of a Barnsley man
« on: Thursday 03 June 21 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I have an ancestor, Joseph Lockwood, who died in 1875.
According to the lists of the Sheffield Indexers, he is buried at Sheffield General Cemetery.

The plot number D3 26.

Does anyone know where this would roughly be or if it was the part of the cemetery which has been grassed over?
 I had hoped to find a map on the cemetery's website, but no such luck.

Grateful for any information
Rebel

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffiel General Cemetery - Grave Plot location of a Barnsley man
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would start by contacting Sheffield library and Sheffield archives as it most likely they will have the maps as to grave plots or their ref points  if maps or any grave record locations exist. There maybe  search charges but that's the cost of doing ancestry. There is always a chance the location markers are still there, even if its grassed over for an approx location also a headstone, either his or a named epitaph point of reference and to work out your grave ref.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
The cemetery is private and is not maintained by the local council. It is in a terrible state. There is a large grassed area from which all gravestones have been removed, surrounded by another large area which is totally overgrown with trees and shrubs.
I wish good luck! I failed dismally trying to find a grave there.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 June 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
The Sheffield general cemetery where grave location D3 -26 is: There are no grave markers and is woodland over growth.

I've taken an area photo and a snippet of the Sheffield indexer plot map to give an idea of grave D3-26 location to give a visual idea where the area location photo was taken.

Its the best one can do to give you some idea of point of reference of D3-26 grave location.

Also a photo of where the cemetery funeral church entrance is.

(Use slide bar at the bottom of the Area photo to see right side of plot map)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 June 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
The Sheffield general  cemetery church

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 June 21 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I only received notification of "new replies" today, so apologise for not responding earlier.
Many, many thanks for taking the time to visit the cemetery and for the photographs. I had written to the cemetery trust people who informed me the gravestones there had been removed in the 1970s. No photos were taken but at least the gravestone had been transcribed.
With that info and your pictures, I feel a lot better about not being able to visit in person myself.

That was a very kind thing to do, thankyou so much
Rebel

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 June 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi cockney rebel,

Glad to be of help,

Being from West Yorkshire, the sun was beginning to shine, I took a bus to Manchester from Sheffield using my OAP senior pass via the snake pass and Derwent water dams  (where they made the Dambuster film)- then a connection  bus home the West Yorkshire as a good day out.

Nothing could have been achieved without the input of Pauline J finding the plot map links.

If there is one consolation ! the lower cemetery is used by a great many people using the paths, open fields, adventure playground for kids (example little kids play bus drivers on there bikes and scooters on the lower paths by the river loop  over 2 river bridge) and the wooded part is left mostly intact over graves thats not been removed.

As there will be photo's online of the cemetery and to take advantage of a good fix location as a datum point - The apex of the path triangle on the location snippet - I limited the number of the photo's to one known fixed points-and the church.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 June 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor, Joseph Lockwood, who died in 1875.
According to the lists of the Sheffield Indexers, he is buried at Sheffield General Cemetery.

The plot number D3 26.

Image is on FamilySearch.
Died 22 June
Buried 24 June
Age 71
Gardener
Gives residence
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9G8-W27