Author Topic: Robert Alcorn/Aldcorn/etc d 1820-1841 near Fogo, Berwickshire  (Read 866 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Alcorn/Aldcorn/etc d 1820-1841 near Fogo, Berwickshire
« on: Monday 07 June 21 00:15 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find Robert Alcorn, please? (spelling very variable, I've seen: Aldcorn, Alcoran, Alcorne)

I've no reason to think he ever strayed far from Caldra near Fogo, Berwickshire.  He's described once as "of Sisterpath" (also near Fogo).  He was a "farm servant" or "steward" (presumably land steward).

He was not with his wife in the 1841 census and she's a widow on the 1851 census.  Therefore it's likely he died before 1841.
His youngest known child, Mary, was born around 1820 (age only from censuses) so unless there was an unknown alternative father, Robert died after that.

So looking at 1820-1841 (possibly later) for his death.  To give an idea of his age, his wife was born in 1780.  Their first known child, William, was born in 1807 so marriage shortly before that I guess.

All suggestions and/or tangential local knowledge gratefully received!
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Alcorn/Aldcorn/etc d 1820-1841 near Fogo, Berwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 21 11:06 BST (UK) »
Is this the family you refer to?

ROBERT ALCORAN children born/baptised Fogo
WILLIAM 19/03/1807
JAMES 23/12/1808
JEAN06/03/1811
EUPHEMIA 13/10/1813
MARGARET 29/10/1815
MARY 18/02/1818

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 21 11:18 BST (UK) »
If the above family is correct, possible baptism below.

ROBERT ALCORN
WILLIAM ALCORN/EUPHAN DODS F
05/05/1782 Ednam, Roxburghshire.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
I have now found the 1841 census you refer to. I guess JEAN ALCORN age 60, is the wife of Robert, she is in Fogo with her son James and maybe Mary but their are others, it looks likely that James is married to Alice?

Sadly no marriage for Robert & Jean.

Colin

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 June 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
It looks likely that this is the Statutory Registration of Jean (Interchangeable with Jane)

JANE ALCORN 81 died 1861 Fogo

This will give additional information.

Colin

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 June 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin for doing all this!  The 1782 baptism looks very promising!  The other information is correct but I knew it already - next time I'll be more explicit about what I already know.

The 1841 census that I mentioned does not show James or Alice (though you are right that Robert and Jane's son James was married to Alison/Alice), so I don't quite understand your comment.  It just shows:

at Caldra, Fogo
Jean age 60
Margaret age 25
Mary age 20

I do feel confused that I can't find a trace of Robert's death or marriage.  However, as shepherds, they may have ranged quite widely on both sides of the border.  I will start focusing around Ednam though and see what that turns up.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 June 21 15:20 BST (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

1841 JEAN ALCORN 60 Fogo, Berwick

Plus 6 others.

There are some death records at Fogo prior to 1855 Registration but only 1820 to 1848.
Not all parish death records are on SP, so if he died elsewhere it may not be available. 

Colin

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 June 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

1841 JEAN ALCORN 60 Fogo, Berwick

Plus 6 others.

There are some death records at Fogo prior to 1855 Registration but only 1820 to 1848.
Not all parish death records are on SP, so if he died elsewhere it may not be available. 

Colin

Found it!  Thank you for that.  FindMyPast shows them in two separate entries.  Perhaps they were living next door, or listed as distinct households at one address.