Author Topic: Helen Burrows Family in Cavan  (Read 920 times)

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen Burrows Family in Cavan
« on: Monday 07 June 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused regarding an ancestors family in Ireland. Her name was Helen/Hellen/Ellen Burroughs/Burrows, and was born from 1786 to 1791 in Cavan County, Ireland. Helen married Francis Maxwell about 1813 and they had 6 children: Jane, Fanny, Mary Ann, Wm, Helen Amelia and Claudius Henry. The Maxwells were protestants.

Francis Maxwell's family was in the 1821 Kilmore, Cavan census, with Francis age 30 head, Hellen 31 wife, Jane 7 daughter, Fanny 4 daughter, Mary 1 daughter and mother-in-law Jane 57.

Jane would be Helen's mother, born about 1764. Since Francis's father was named William, based on the naming I'd say the next son (Claudius) was the name of Helen's father.(And also because Claudius is a very obscure name. I found this on the 1796 census substitute:
Burrow              Claudius              Kildallan             Cavan
Burrowes            Claudius              Drumlane              Cavan
Burrows             Thomas                Kilmore               Cavan
Searching through rootsireland's database (without seeing records, which I unfortunately cannot view) there is a marriage of a Claud Burrows and Jane Black in 1776 in County Cavan. It looks like this Jane could have been baptized in 1750 to Wm Black. Does anyone think the birth date on the census (1764) could be that far off? Do Claud(ius) and Jane's children support Wm being Jane's father? I do not have a list of their children. If anyone might be able to help determine if Jane md 1776 is the same person as Jane b1764 that would be great.
Also:
Index :   Pre-1858 Wills and Admons
Sub-Index :   Kilmore Diocesean Wills
Surname :   Burrowes
Forename :   Claird alias. Claud
Town or Townland :   Cloncore alias. Cloncose
Date :   Will 1804 Probate 1806
Original Documents :   The original documents referred to in this index DO NOT exist. No further information, other than that recorded above, has survived.
No parish, ref or ocupation survived in the record, but can't really do anything with this other than a Claud Burrows died about 1805/6.

Sorry if its a bit distracting by posting all of this, but the first question I have is "Is Jane md 1776 is the same person as Jane b1764? Could a census date be that far off?". I lean toward 1764 being the same person as 1776 as Claudius is a bit of an uncommon name, and is likely a namesake after someone (likely Jane's father). Then, finding out Claud/Claird/Claudius's siblings would be the next step (I think), so a likely father could be targeted. There are alot of Burrows/Burrowes on PRONI name search, so a good step would be there. Thank you!

Offline Searcher_49

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Burrows Family in Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hello!
Helen Burrows 1790,and her husband Francis Maxwell 1791 are my 3xgg They emigrated from Ireland to Hull Quebec around 1821,with their three children and had three more in Hull,where they were among the very early Pioneers Francis Maxwell had a sister,Elizabeth Maxwell 1787,who married Robert Faris,and they too emigrated with their two sons,but went to New York Ciity,where they had their third child—a daughter,Dorothy Tragically,Robert Was killed in a street brawl shortly after Elizabeth did remarry—to Henry Hurdman(also from N Ireland )and they had several children together,before leaving New York and moving to Hull,near her brother Francis Maxwell and his wife Helen Francis and Helen’s eldest daughter Jane fell in love with Elizabeth Maxwell’s second-born son,Maxwell Faris,and they married—first cousins They had a daughter,Jane Faris 1845-1885,who was my great grandmother,who married Robert Radmore 1837-1916 It was their son Robert Radmore 1873-1952 who married my grandmother(newly immigrated to Montreal,where Robert had moved/set up his business ),and produced my mother in 1916 These are new facts for our family,and came about via DNA and lots of help from the current descendants I have recently met with a pair of sisters,who descend from Francis Maxwell and Helen Burrowes youngest son,Claudius Henry We do not know yet who Helen’s father was,but assume as you did that his name was Claud As for Helen’s mother,Jane Burrowes,born 1764,she would have been 27 when Helen was born,according to 1821 census dates

Moderator Comment: Post had to be modified replacing Full stops (.) with spaces.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 June 23 19:36 BST (UK) »

... Helen Burrows 1790,and her husband Francis Maxwell 1791 are my 3xgg They emigrated from Ireland to Hull Quebec around 1821,with their three children and had three more in Hull ...

Emigration from Ireland must have been after 29 January 1825, for according to a transcript I can see, Francis Maxwell and his wife Helen were in a church in Kilmore (Church of Ireland) Parish on that day, having their son William baptised.  Their address in previous baptisms for daughters Frances in 1817 and Mary in 1819 was recorded as 'Munnery' (note that the forename recorded for Francis' wife in these instances was Eleanor/Elenor).

In William's baptismal record of 1825, the address was recorded as 'Monnery'.  The closest fit I can find are two bordering townlands called Monnery Upper and Monnery Lower in Kilmore civil parish:

https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/loughtee-upper/kilmore/crossdoney/monnery-upper/

https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/loughtee-upper/kilmore/crossdoney/monnery-lower/

The 1821 census indicates Monnery Lower:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246632/007246632_00103.pdf

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 June 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you! The family was indeed in Monnery, Francis being in lower in 1821 census. I did not know that there were baotisms for Frances, Mary and William! They had a daughter Jane in 1814, is her baptism recorded?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 23 14:36 BST (UK) »
I can't see a baptism for their daughter Jane, the subscription database that I'm looking at, claims coverage of records from 1702 to 1920 for Kilmore CoI parish, so maybe Jane was baptised elsewhere.