Author Topic: Street Name in Bishopbriggs, Glasgow - Information received, many thanks!  (Read 339 times)

Offline John Strang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I'm trying to decipher a street or house name on a passenger list from 1925 - my great uncle's fiancée travelled to meet him in Canada.

As luck would have it there's a big black line right through the one record I want - I wonder if anyone who knows the area, or is more proficient with photo editing software can decipher it. I tried creating a negative but that didn't help me either.

My guess is it reads:
Father - James Todd
xxxxxxhill
Bishopbriggs

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

John
Strang
Calderhead
MacLean

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Street Name in Bishopbriggs, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
I looked at Valuation Rolls on Scotland's People, not sure what, if anything, you know about the lady and her parents but I did see this man:
1925 there is a James Todd, School attendance officer, who was both the prorietor and occupant of a house called  "Broomhill',  Coltpark Road,AVENUE apologies! Bishopbriggs

ADDED if you can give us a name, date of voyage and name of ship someone may be able to perhaps find a better copy of the passenger list?

Boo

Offline John Strang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

That sounds plausible, many thanks for such a prompt reply!

The lady's name was Florence Todd, she was 27 when she travelled to Canada in 1925 so she was born in 1898. She married my great uncle Gilbert Calderhead (my grandmother's brother) the day after arriving in Canada, if my research is correct!

Sadly they both died of scarlet fever in 1930, I believe ...

ADDED the ship was SS Athenia, sailed from Glasgow to Quebec - see further attachment.

Thanks again,
John
Strang
Calderhead
MacLean

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has the outgoing lists (hand written) and that lady's home address was Broomhill, Bishopbriggs

Boo