Author Topic: Thomson, Stewart, Cowie, McIntosh  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomson, Stewart, Cowie, McIntosh
« on: Saturday 12 June 21 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am hoping someone may be able to help.  I have been searching these people for a while and recently bought a few certs but can't determine a person's birth. Her name is Ann Anne or Annie Stewart - supposedly born about 1865. Her two marriages and death certs state her parents as John Stewart and Jessie Thomson.  I have also purchased and found census for 1871 1881 1891 and 1901. As a 6 and 16 year old Annie is living with her grandparents William Thomson and Margaret Cowie. (1871 and 1881 census).  In the 1891 census she is still living with her grandparents, but this time has her 3 children living with them Margaret, John and James.  She is widowed from John McIntosh 1862-1887.  She married again in 1892 to James Cowie who died in 1927.  Annie died in 1961. William Thomson and Margaret Cowie married in Sep 1846. Margaret died in June 1902. Annie Cowie - granddaughter, notified of her death. I cannot find any children they had - so can't verify Jessie/Jane/Janet Thomson as theirs. I cannot find any marriage of John Stewart and Jessie Thomson.  I cannot find an Ann/e/ie Stewart Stuart born to a John Stewart and Jessie Thomson.  I would love to sort this out as I believe the John Stewart may be part of my Stewart line which may also help fill in some missing links.  Thanking in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson, Stewart, Cowie, McIntosh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
The thought that springs immediately to mind is that Ann/Anne/Annie was probably illegitimate.

For example, Ann Thomson, born 31 March 1865 in Rathven, mother Jessie Thomson, father not named?

There's a 24-year-old Jessie Thomson, daughter, in the household of William Thomson and Margaret Cowie in 1871.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 June 21 15:20 BST (UK) »
I think Forfarian is right.

In 1871 you mention that Ann is with her grandparents, so if I have the correct census this is Ann.

STEWART   ANN   1871   F   6   164/ 8/ 43   Rathven   Banff

Also at this reference the THOMSON family.

WILLIAM 52, MARGARET 51, JESSIE 24,, ALEXANDER 17

William   Thomson   Head   Married   56   1825   Fisherman   Buckie, Banffshire,
Margaret   Thomson   Wife   Married   57   1824   -   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   
Jane   Cowie   Servant   Unmarried   45   1836   Domestic servant   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   
Ann   Stewart   Granddaughter   -   16   1865   General servant   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   
William   Milne   Grandson   -   5   1876   Scholar   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   

WILLIAM THOMPSON   Married    MARGARET COWIE   29/09/1846   Rathven
I do not see any children on SP for the above?

Looking at the 1861 census I think Jessie on the 1871 census is the 14 year old daughter of William & Margaret called Janet.

Is this the mother of Ann 1865?

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 21 03:39 BST (UK) »
The thought that springs immediately to mind is that Ann/Anne/Annie was probably illegitimate.

For example, Ann Thomson, born 31 March 1865 in Rathven, mother Jessie Thomson, father not named?

There's a 24-year-old Jessie Thomson, daughter, in the household of William Thomson and Margaret Cowie in 1871.
Thank you Forfarian - I had thought Annie was probably illegitimate, but for some reason the thought to look for her under Thomson instead of Stewart hadn't occurred to me.  I am also wondering about Jessie as I haven't found her birth nor any children by William Thomson and Margaret Cowie.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 21 03:47 BST (UK) »
I think Forfarian is right.

In 1871 you mention that Ann is with her grandparents, so if I have the correct census this is Ann.

STEWART   ANN   1871   F   6   164/ 8/ 43   Rathven   Banff

Also at this reference the THOMSON family.

WILLIAM 52, MARGARET 51, JESSIE 24,, ALEXANDER 17

William   Thomson   Head   Married   56   1825   Fisherman   Buckie, Banffshire,
Margaret   Thomson   Wife   Married   57   1824   -   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   
Jane   Cowie   Servant   Unmarried   45   1836   Domestic servant   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   
Ann   Stewart   Granddaughter   -   16   1865   General servant   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   
William   Milne   Grandson   -   5   1876   Scholar   Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland   

WILLIAM THOMPSON   Married    MARGARET COWIE   29/09/1846   Rathven
I do not see any children on SP for the above?

Looking at the 1861 census I think Jessie on the 1871 census is the 14 year old daughter of William & Margaret called Janet.

Is this the mother of Ann 1865?

Colin
Yes Colin, that is what I found too. I also think Forfarian is right, but I also wonder about William and Margaret. I can't find any children either, let alone Janet/Jessie's birth.  I might buy William's death cert.  There is a Margaret born to a William Thomson and Isabel Cowie 1840.  I wonder if this is the same William.
Anne

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 June 21 11:08 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 census there are three children.

Janet/Jessie 14, William 11 & Alexander 7

WILLIAM THOMSON   Died   19   Mmn - COWIE 1869   Rathven

1871 census would suggest they only had those three all before Statutory Registration.

I did discover two baptisms on family search, William 1864 & Helen 1870,
however there was a later marriage, just to confuse.

WILLIAM THOMSON   Married    MARGARET COWIE   1863   Rathven

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 June 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
Yes thats the information i found too. Janet or Jessie just disappears after 1871. I found that later marriage too. Had found the right one earlier though.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 June 21 15:55 BST (UK) »
Janet or Jessie just disappears after 1871.

Janet/Jessie Thomson married William Milne, apparently on 12 Feb 1875 at Tulliallan (according to the birth records of two of their children), although I can find no record of the marriage on SP. The William Milne, grandson, who appears in the 1881 census with William Thomson and Margaret Cowie is their son.

This is the family in 1881, 1891 and 1901 in Buckie:

William Milne, head, fisherman, 39, Buckie, Banffshire (think the age may actually be 29)
Jessie Milne, wife, 36, Buckie, Banffshire
Jane Milne, daughter, 3, Buckie, Banffshire

William Milne, head, fisherman, 38, Buckie, Banffshire
Jessie Milne, wife, 44, Buckie, Banffshire,
Jane Milne, daughter, 14, Buckie, Banffshire
Williamina, daughter, 9, Buckie, Banffshire
Helen A Milne, daughter, 5, Buckie, Banffshire

William Milne, head, fisherman, 48, Buckie, Banffshire
Jessie Milne, wife, 50, Buckie, Banffshire (age might be 56)
Jeannie Milne, daughter, 22, Buckie, Banffshire
Helen A Milne, daughter, 14, Buckie, Banffshire
William Smith, nephew, 3, Buckie, Banffshire
Alexander Milne, nephew, 1 mo, Buckie, Banffshire

Jessie Milne (ms Thomson) died in 1927 in Newhills, Aberdeenshire.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 June 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is them and the date on the birth records was wrong?

WILLIAM MILNE to JANE THOMSON
1873 Tarves

Colin