Author Topic: Death of Martha Johnston, nee Scroggy, after 1901, Tobermore  (Read 552 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death of Martha Johnston, nee Scroggy, after 1901, Tobermore
« on: Sunday 13 June 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
In 1901, widowed Martha Johnston, age 80, is found on the census in Tobermore Town with her widowed son-in-law, Alexander McCready, age 50. Research shows that Alexander had married Isabella Johnston in 1871, and she was of full age, her father Thomas. I can't find Isabella's birth which would be abt 1845-1850. I have looked for the marriage of Isabella's parents which I am told by relatives were Thomas Johnston and Martha Scroggy. Thomas was a widower when he married Martha and his first wife had surname Booth/Boothe. Thomas had a son Thomas from his first marriage and Isabella from his second marriage, although there are likely more children.
I can't find Isabella McCready's death between 1884 and 1901 or Martha Johnston's after 1901. Alexander and Isabella had a son Samuel abt 1883 and a daughter Martha abt 1884.
Would love any help to find Martha or Isabella's death, Martha Scroggy's marriage to Thomas Johnston likely 1840-1850, and/or the death of Thomas before 1901.
thank you
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Martha Johnston, nee Scroggy, after 1901, Tobermore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 17:36 BST (UK) »
I have learned that Martha's maiden name was not Scroggy. It was Johnston, so looking for the marriage of Thomas Johnston to Martha Johnston about 1840-1850.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 July 21 00:27 BST (UK) »
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
thank you, dublin1850. Matty lived to good age. Still looking for death of Isabella McCready, her daughter. And for Thomas her husband.
thanks again
Peggy

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 July 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
An outside chance for Isabella's death may be the death of 'Eliza' McCready from Tobermore in 1886.
Number 248 on this page https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06253/4790844.pdf

I can find no other entry that comes close.
It is possible Thomas is one of the deaths below, neither of which is viewable at the moment on irishgenealogy and you would have to order them. You can order them by emailing GROResearchRoom@welfare.ie including the information below, your name and a contact number. They will arrange a way for you to pay using a card online.

Name   THOMAS JOHNSTON
Date of Death   1870
SR District/Reg Area   Magherafelt
Deceased Age at Death   74
Returns Year   1870
Returns Quarter   4
Returns Volume No   16
Returns Page No   495

Name   THOMAS JOHNSTON
Date of Death   1867
SR District/Reg Area   Magherafelt
Deceased Age at Death   73
Returns Year   1867
Returns Quarter   4
Returns Volume No   16
Returns Page No   485
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you kindly, dublin1850,  for looking. I did pay for the 1870 death and it may be him, hard to be sure. The death is in Fallagloon, and Mary Johnston is present, relationship not stated. Maybe daughter???
I don't think Eliza is the right person but thank you.