Author Topic: Elizabeth Chance nee Gardiner  (Read 17944 times)

Offline mjwatts1960

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Chance nee Gardiner
« on: Monday 14 June 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
Searching for Elizabeth Gardiner daughter of Christopher and Elizabeth Gardiner of Minchinhampton. She married Daniel Chance 6 Nov 1783 in Minchinhampton. I need to know when and where she was born and when and where she died. Can anyone help please? Have tried myself without success.
I need to know who her Gardiner ancestors were in the 1700s and 1600s. She is supposedly related to William Gardiner 1606 1632 who married Anne Hastings daughter of Simon Hastings of Daylesford on 2 Oct 1624. Thank you

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Chance nee Gardiner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
As you know who Elizabeth's parents are I'm not sure whether you already have this:

Minchinhampton - 4 August 1749  baptism of Elizabeth d/o Christopher and Elizabeth Gardner

Gloucestershire marriage licence allegation: 15 September 1748
                                                            Christopher Gardiner age 23 bachelor of Minchinhampton
                                                            Elizabeth Pool age 21 spinster of Minchinhampton
                                                            to marry at St Mary de Crypt [in Gloucester]
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the PCC will of Christopher Gardiner of Minchinhamptonl?   He writes it in 1804 stating that he is in his eighty first year.  I have only looked at it briefly, but he mentions his grandson Daniel Gardiner Chance - and also his 'kinsman' Warren Hastings.  The connection with Daylesford?

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
Link to thread on one name board to save research repetition

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=849931.msg7173505

Good luck ...were your GARDINER s fairly consistent with that spelling ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
Warren Hastings (1732-1818) was the son of a Penyston (other spellings also occur) Hastings.
Pennyston Hastings married Priscilla Gardiner at Guiting Power, Gloucestershire 18 January 1703/4, and baptised a son of the same name there on 27 February 1704/5.

The elder Penyston Hastings is identified in the register as "Clerk", so I am not sure whether it is this man marrying Hester Warren in 1730 at Twyning, who is also identified as "Clerk", or his son.
The CofE database seems to show only one clergyman of that name.

Offline mjwatts1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 17:19 BST (UK) »
As you know who Elizabeth's parents are I'm not sure whether you already have this:

Minchinhampton - 4 August 1749  baptism of Elizabeth d/o Christopher and Elizabeth Gardner

Gloucestershire marriage licence allegation: 15 September 1748
                                                            Christopher Gardiner age 23 bachelor of Minchinhampton
                                                            Elizabeth Pool age 21 spinster of Minchinhampton
                                                            to marry at St Mary de Crypt [in Gloucester]

Thank you very much for this. I did not have any of this information. This is an important step forward. The next step is to try to identify Christopher Gardiner's birth about 1723 and parents

Offline mjwatts1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
Warren Hastings (1732-1818) was the son of a Penyston (other spellings also occur) Hastings.
Pennyston Hastings married Priscilla Gardiner at Guiting Power, Gloucestershire 18 January 1703/4, and baptised a son of the same name there on 27 February 1704/5.

The elder Penyston Hastings is identified in the register as "Clerk", so I am not sure whether it is this man marrying Hester Warren in 1730 at Twyning, who is also identified as "Clerk", or his son.
The CofE database seems to show only one clergyman of that name.
I have a tree with a Priscilla Gardiner born 5 Oct 1680 whose parents were William and Priscilla who were born in Twining or Guiting Grange. Would this be a match?

Offline mjwatts1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
Link to thread on one name board to save research repetition

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=849931.msg7173505

Good luck ...were your GARDINER s fairly consistent with that spelling ?
Yes for the most part the spelling is Gardiner.

Offline mjwatts1960

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the PCC will of Christopher Gardiner of Minchinhamptonl?   He writes it in 1804 stating that he is in his eighty first year.  I have only looked at it briefly, but he mentions his grandson Daniel Gardiner Chance - and also his 'kinsman' Warren Hastings.  The connection with Daylesford?
No I have not seen the will of Christopher Gardiner. Forgive my ignorance but what is PCC? If you look at the one of the other replies to my original request you will see Warren Hastings' father Pennyston married Priscilla Gardiner. This is the connection to Daylesford.
I need to know how Pennyston Hastings and Priscilla Gardiner are related to Christopher Gardiner and Elizabeth Pool.
I also need help to find Christopher Gardiners birth baptism in about 1722 or 1723 and who his parents were. Thank you for all your help.
Matthew