Author Topic: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death  (Read 4652 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Nathaniel Shuttleworth - Date of Death
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 24 June 21 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Neal. This shows the request but not the rejection. If you look back a few posts you can find the rejection location in a post from MathewWJ64. It is on an Ancestory database.

Incidentally, I am trying to pull all this together, and you mentioned a few spells in gaol. Can you let me know the link to where you found this information?

And
"Ancestry has this indexed in Registers of Convicts' Applications to Marry as granted, but the document does not have 'Allowed' or 'Do' next to their entry. For Shuttle it has 'stated single' and for Cooper it has 'Cooper stated on arrival that she was married and had three children'.

This part is in New South Wales, Australia, Registers of Convicts' Applications to Marry, 1826-1851 on Ancestry

"Nathaniel Shuttle is on the Index to Marriage Refusals, 1831-1837; Volume: 4/1117"

This one is a bit hidden on Ancestry as it is under New South Wales, Australia, Convict Records, 1810-1891 and make sure you search for Nathaniel

:)

May I gently note that "4/1117" will be significant to the staff at NSW State Archives.  Long before the internet was invented, those Archive records were filmed and catalogued.   The 4/1117 reference number is not generated by Ancestry.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 24 June 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, I am trying to pull all this together, and you mentioned a few spells in gaol. Can you let me know the link to where you found this information?
The gaol records were also on Ancestry.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline NevilleTB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 24 June 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
So as a newcomer to genealogy, am I right in thinking membership of Ancestory is critical in tracing relatives?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 24 June 21 13:58 BST (UK) »
So as a newcomer to genealogy, am I right in thinking membership of Ancestory is critical in tracing relatives?

No. 

Theres no need to be a member of any group at all. Tracing ancestors, being interested in family history, sharing tips, seeking out primary and secondary sources, interpreting the material, recording the research, publishing the research ... well they all predate the internet.  All the commercial websites have done is popularise that.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 24 June 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
In my opinion, two of the best places to find material on ancestors who lived in NSW in the 1800s are the NSW state Library in Sydney cbd and NSW state Archives at Kingswood.  Their holdings far exceed the offerings available from any of the commercial websites. 

JM.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 24 June 21 15:06 BST (UK) »

No. 

Theres no need to be a member of any group at all. Tracing ancestors, being interested in family history, sharing tips, seeking out primary and secondary sources, interpreting the material, recording the research, publishing the research ... well they all predate the internet.  All the commercial websites have done is popularise that.   

JM
I agree with JM. Most of the most useful and interesting information about my ancestors in early Australia, has come from state archives, libraries, and local history societies. Ancestry was next to
useless for my Scottish ancestors. It did come in handy when looking for some English records, but these were also available on a number of different free sites, which had much more effective search engines.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 24 June 21 19:53 BST (UK) »

If you are a member of your local library in your state you will have free access to Ancestry Library Edition at the library, or at the moment during Covid it may be available from home. The library version has good search functionality but you cannot create family trees.

M

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Friday 25 June 21 01:27 BST (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 25 June 21 01:42 BST (UK) »
 :)
transmission  as in onforwarded ... so a document is created at locality A and then  the information in it needs to be forwarded to locality B and/or locality C for approval/denial and further administrative action (including deciding to take no further action)... so the original document stays at locality A and a copy of it is made.  The copy is 'transmitted' ... ie handed over in an 'official'  way to someone who has authority to carry it to locality B. 

These transmission practices happened in the penal admin, and in the civil authorities at least until the mid 1870s in NSW.

So for example, the NSW Governor in 1810-1821 era was Lachlan Macquarie.  His admin would have needed to send copy of his general orders to penal settlements including Wellington NSW, Newcastle NSW, Port Macquarie NSW, and various localities in Van Diemens Land, and Norfolk Island. He also had communications to transmit to new settlements in New Zealand.   Those copies were 'transmitted'.   Rev Samuel Marsden held both religious and civil admin positions.   So one of the civil admin positions he held meant that he needed to receive transmitted penal records. And one of his religious positions meant that he needed to receive transmitted clergy records.

That is the briefest explanation I can give.   The thesis could run into several hundred pages.  :-X

OOPS
Add,  so sometimes the only extant record is the original.  Other times NO extant record exists, but a log in letters IN shows it was received at the 'end' locality.    NSW State Archives holds 'everything' from that era.   People who live in Sydney and who can get to the State Library and or the Archives are made very welcome.  There is plenty of disability access at both localities.  The staff are knowledgeable, helpful and keen to assist any enquiry.   I know this from first hand experience and also from my own ancient rellies, retired Archivists.

JM