Author Topic: Diary - Thursday, 17 June 2021  (Read 1203 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday, 17 June 2021
« on: Thursday 17 June 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
I woke up early (after 5 am) which is not really ideal when I have a 12 hour nightshift coming up tonight.  I think I will not get back off to sleep but I am not ready to get up so I close my eyes and decide to listen all the sounds I can hear.  I hear a seagull and other birds and there is a cat yowling.  I also think I can even hear the sound of an early morning metro train in the far distance.  Before I know it I fall back asleep and have lots of bitty dreams.  One was that I was at the Newcastle central station standing in a crowd watching a large screen showing Paul McCartney and Wings singing  'Mull of Kintyre'.
I get up a few hours later and have breakfast by the front window and watch the world go by as I await DiL coming from her nightshift to pick the dog back up.
I see an elderly man hurry past with two carrier bags of shopping (he must have gone for the opening time) and I see school kids go by, some masked and some  unmasked and one on a scooter.  I see a man with a baby strapped on his back. 
DiL comes and we chat for a little while before she takes the dog and heads home to bed.  It has been lovely to have the dog for a few days.  Son got her from a rescue shelter many years ago now and you could not wish for a better natured dog.
Son rings and says he has just dropped my Grandson off at nursery and will be starting his work soon at home.  He thinks he may have to go back to the work place in a couple of months.  He talks about his concerns about how things will have to be juggled when my Grandson starts school in September.
I go out and buy some food and return some books to the library and get a couple more out.  One is 'Pull of Stars' by Emma Donoghue and it looks like a good one.  It is about a nurse working in a Dublin hospital at the time when the mysterious and deadly Spanish flu descends.  How terrifying it must have been for people back then with no vaccine and sickness often coming on suddenly and symptoms often quite horrific.
Over lunch I read the news.  I do feel sorry for Boris about Cummings revealing private texts.  I think the latter seems like a bit of a snake in the grass.  I think that Boris would do well to remember the rhyme:
'If wisdoms ways you wisely seek
Five things observe with care
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how and when, and where'
This is probably easier said than done though and I would like to think even a prime minister could have a little privacy.
I also read about the disgraceful hounding of a journalist by some lockdown protesters.  I think these people have well and truly shown their true colours.  They are selfish bullies and don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.
After this I do a little pottering around the house including getting some washing done.  Now I am going to try and have a little rest before tea.  I have an early start nightshift so I will have to start off on my commute after this.
By the way, I have spoken to someone I know who works in a hospital to find out if things are similar to what PharmaT experiences.  I was told where they are, there is no problem about going to the toilet as long as someone else is available to cover.  This person said that at one time they were not allowed to drink at all outside their designated breaks as they were told this would look 'unprofessional'.  However, they complained stating that being thirsty was making them feel lethargic and leading to headaches.  Now this person says they are allowed to have a cold drink of water from the dispenser when needed.  And I should think so too!! How bizarre!  If I were a patient and I saw a nurse having a drink of water it would never even cross my mind that they were being 'unprofessional' by doing so. ::)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday, 17 June 2021
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 June 21 09:33 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you managed to get back to sleep RTL, hope you felt well rested when you got up despite the strange dreams. It seems to be a common thing to have odd dreams when going back to sleep, no doubt there's some scientific explanation for it. I hope your son can make arrangements for your grandson, it's going to be such a change for a lot of people in different ways when they return to the workplace. There seems to be a lot of anxiety about it, not surprising when the whole world has changed in the last year. I agree that Cummings is a snake in the grass, I don't know how he can criticise anyone's behaviour after his own blunder.

My day was another ordinary one:

A cooler day but very pleasant. It was after lunch by the time I went for my walk, came out of the woods and was approaching the bridge when a very small rabbit crossed my path and went into the woods, down the slope to the railway line. After walking down the lane I was climbing the steps up to the railway line to cross back over to the woods when I heard a train approaching. I stepped back down the ladder a couple of steps but could still feel the vibrations as it passed. Back up to the line, looked very carefully before crossing, I knew that the train the other way would be along in a few minutes.

Spent the afternoon in the garden again, did a lot of work and cut the lawn to finish. Was tired and about to slump on the sofa when I realised I hadn't yet chosen a reference photo for the art project. Put the laptop on and trawled through my numerous holiday photos, I wanted to use one of Greece but eventually chose one I took in Portugal, it was more suitable. At that point my friend L phoned about the same thing.
Usual evening at the end of a usual day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 June 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
Has a nice over the fence chat with  a neighbour from the next avenue.
Four children,two adopted sisters and two little boys ,home grown.
The girls were doing a project with their school re evacuation ,pre Covid so I could help.
I had music playing on the radio Classic FM,Eric Sati’s Gymnopedies  and Daddy said he taught music at the nearby Grammar school.

The youngest is going to be ” Dedicated” at their church on Sunday and they hoped for nice weather as the congregation were invited to bring their own pic nic to have,all spread out on the grass ,they to provide cakes and soft
 drinks in the Church grounds but it is not allowed yet we see crowds and crowds at football matches all crammed together, hard to understand .
Brightening up now but a very cool breeze and I think we are in for  some heavy rain this evening.
Must phone number two son ,lunchtime when he is perhaps not working ,you know computer link ups etc.
A strange thing happened yesterday,I don’t read anything into it .
My daughter some time ago sent a short video of a baby orang utan, it is really laugh out loud stuff ,at the end there is a reflection in the glass fronting the indoor enclosure ,people are watching the baby O U
In the area is a log ,big for climbing on, and there is my husband’s face the upper half.
Either a reflection of an observer or something ,I wish I knew how to send photographs and little videos.
I know it is nothing to do with my OH but so like him I exclaimed out loud!

Well must get on and if it is going to rain I ought to go to  the  garden centre today .
You do so well RTL ,as do all of you ,I admire all of you.
As to drinks, well known fact that insufficient and people can  be much less alert and effective ,when old ladies like myself throw  themselves off ladders
The Ambulance crew often do a skin pinch test to see if any dehydration as that can lead to confusion etc .
In the atmosphere ,like that in which Pharma works ,it would seem more sense to order people to have regular drinks !
Old people often limit drinks re slight incontinence ,but not a good idea really.
Is anyone else like me(  that is a loaded question) as soon as I am getting ready say for a hospital appt I need the loo!
Don’t want to miss the ambulance or taxi,have I time to go or ought I to wait?
Will I last out the long journey etc etc etc .
Whilst not incontinent - no honestly I’m not - it is a great worry .
As soon as I am there I don’t need to go and it is not because I have “ been “ on the way . :-[
Oh the joys of old age ,but I am grateful, many are sadly denied it, as we know on this forum.
So cheerio again ,must bat on .Viktoria.

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 June 21 12:18 BST (UK) »
You're not on your own Viktoria. I decide I need the loo just before I go out anywhere, it annoys the hell out of my OH!
It's quite disturbing to hear that a nurse can't get a drink on duty, especially in this heat. My daughter is a nurse and she tells me that there is a water dispenser on all the wards for patients, visitors and staff.  Perhaps her NHS trust is generous and others don't do the same?
it's been lovely to read everybody's news. Lovely walks and cocktails, very good for your wellbeing.
I haven't much to report. Did a lot of work in the garden, weeding, planting and cutting back overgrown shrubs. It looked lovely when I had finished so I treated myself to a gin and tonic and sat and drank that while I admired my handiwork. Such a feeling of satisfaction when the garden looks all neat and tidy, shame it doesn't last long!  I was very careful to put all waste in a neat pile so I could easily transfer it to the bin. Bob the dog decided to dive into it and spread it across the lawn. I wasn't very happy with him  :-[

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 June 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
How strange to see your husband's face in the video Viktoria, rather nice too. Perhaps he's watching over you.

Jo, I love to hear your stories about Bob, they do make me laugh although I can appreciate that it's infuriating at the time. I'm sure you'll have forgiven him now.  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 21 17:29 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, it sounds like you have had some lovely holidays in the past.  :) Hopefully, you will be able to go on these overseas holidays again one day - perhaps by next year when things are safer?  How lovely, to spot a little rabbit on your walk!  Be careful of those oncoming trains😱 but I am sure you always are!  Re: Cummings, I just can't help thinking that it is dishonourable for him to have shown private texting.  I do feel sorry for Boris that someone has tried to humiliate him by such means. :-\

Viktoria and Jo, I agree that it would be better for people working in such places as Pharma does, to be encouraged to drink.  Especially, as in this heat and wearing ppe all day.  Dehydrated people are less likely able to be 'on the ball' and why should they have to suffer headaches and other discomforts. It is astounding that the nurse I know was once told that being seen having a drink looks unprofessional!! :o  Thank goodness they eventually got this overturned.  I work in care but fortunately there are no issues with us not being allowed to drink.  That being said, I have not had a drink with my evening meal (just to be on safe side)  because I will be setting off on commute soon.  Will get a drink from water dispenser when I get there though, as 12 hour shift ahead.  Not so bad now on way home these days as some public toilets are now open.  So things feel a bit less nerve wracking re imagining what 'accidents'  :-X could happen.

I hope the children enjoy the dedication ceremony.  That is great that you were able to help out with 'evacuation' education based on your own first hand experience, Viktoria.  :)
That must have felt strange but perhaps nice too, to see your husband's 'face' in the video.  It would be nice to think he is watching over you.
Jo, hearing about Bob the dog made me laugh.  He may have thought he was joining in a fun game.  ;D Disheartening though for you to have all your hard work undone.  I think you certainly deserved your gin and tonic.

Well, I had better finish off here, as I have to set off to work soon.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 June 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hats off to you RTL for working a 12 shift, especially in the care sector which is very hard work.
I'm pleased you and Roobarb enjoyed reading about Bob. He is such a character, and for a small dog he certainly gets into things he shouldn't. I absolutely love him to bits and he is my little companion, where I am he is there unless he has one of his famous sulks on him. I can't stay mad at him for long, he has such a cute little face and melts my heart. He's looking at me now as I type with his big brown eyes having just come in from the garden, because he's expecting a telling off for  terrorising next door's cat who likes to sit on our shed roof.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 June 21 00:49 BST (UK) »
To the Lady in Red, well with the Red Nail Varnish, you take great care looking & listening crossing that line.

On tonight's News they featured a section of disused line, which had been relaid and having checks for reopening beteen Exeter and Okehampton.

I had doubts, about your builder Viktoria when you said he wanted to point up using tubes. When a tube says mtr / metre that is per metre run of joint, you were wise to query it. Not a Sq. Mtr / m2.

Misjudging and stepping off from too high, I hope you make a quick recovery.

PT I hope you get appropriate drinking water and loo breaks!

I will see my Grandson again soon.

Take care all, Mark

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 June 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
Better weather today so got the washing hanging outside.  Absolutely nothing interesting to report.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others