Author Topic: Griffith's Valuations, Waterford, James Butler  (Read 966 times)

Offline Norm33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Griffith's Valuations, Waterford, James Butler
« on: Friday 18 June 21 06:57 BST (UK) »
One of my eight great-grandfathers, Stephen Butler, was born in Waterford/Kilkenny in 1819, being baptised in the RC Slieverue Parish church on 25 December of that year. His father was James Butler also baptised with his twin sister, Anne, there on 17 July 1792. James was married there also to Mary Conary (or Connery) on 11 February 1812. On the Church Marriage Record, their address is given as Peafield.
Apart from Stephen, they had six children (Ellen, Edmund, two Johns, James and Johanna) all of whom were also baptised in the Slieverue church.

In recent years, I have been trying to add to my knowledge about them via Griffith’s Valuations and am faced with at least two frustrating hurdles that thus far I have been unable to jump.
First up, there are no less than 14 “James Butler” candidates in County Waterford alone and doubtless a like number in the adjoining (and perhaps relevant) county of Kilkenny.
Unable to locate any in Kilmurry Townland, in which I believe Peafield was located, I not too naively I hope, decided to go with the Mountmisery Townland (Killculiheen Barony) option not least because it was within the boundaries of the RC Parish of Slieverue.
While I was able to find a James Butler there as one of the five tenants at Map No 2, I have been unable to locate precisely where that was on any of the maps I have accessed.

So my problems – and for which I’d be appreciative of any help or advice – are:
How do I go about ascertaining whether my “chosen” James is the right one and, assuming he is, how likely am I to find a map on which the precise position of his tenement might be found?
TIA
Norm Butler
Butler, Somner, Greetham, Campbell, Jago, Nibbs, Clay, McLeod

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith's Valuations, Waterford, James Butler
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
I think the witnesses to the marriage are a significant clue - Mr & Mrs Snow. At that time only high status people - gentlemen and ladies - were dignified by the use of Mr and Mrs.
That suggests looking for where the Snows might have lived, and also suggests that James Butler may have been a tenant or worked for them.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
Looking at the actual parish register, the format differs from that in most such registers. The address given appears to be the location where the marriage was performed. As this is the Slieverue parish register, that location must be within the parish.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 October 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
Slieverue is located in the townland of Kilmurry, Co Kilkenny, civil parish of Rathpatrick - NOT to be confused with another townland of the same name, in the same county, near Thomastown. The 1833 tythe valuation shows both a Henry Snow Esq and a Major Snow as holding land in Kilmurry. I think by far the most probable scenario is that your family were servants for one or other of these two families. I say servants, as they do not appear to have held any land themselves.

Peafield is probably an unofficial name for a subtownland area. The baptism entries for several of James' children give their address as Kilmurry.

Finally, this thread is misplaced - should be in the Co. Kilkenny section.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 21 08:18 BST (UK) »
Relocated to Kilkenny
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 December 21 02:58 GMT (UK) »
  My 2 x great grandmother was Ellen Butler born Kilkenny.She married John McCabe.I found a birth certificate in 1804 with Richard Butler & Margaret Byrnes as parents.With Muckalee as a birth place.I have no way of knowing if it is correct.We may be connected

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 December 21 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I found a birth certificate in 1804 with Richard Butler & Margaret Byrnes as parents.With Muckalee as a birth place.

This was a baptismal record - civil registration of births in Ireland began in 1864. Ellen was baptised on 2nd December 1804 in Muckalee RC parish (see attachment).
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0997

Here's the civil parish of Muckalee-
https://www.townlands.ie/kilkenny/muckalee3/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo