Author Topic: Joseph MARCHEANT (Marchant)  (Read 707 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph MARCHEANT (Marchant)
« on: Sunday 20 June 21 02:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
    I’m doing research on the above  who  married Susanna MANSER in Pevensey Sussex in 1758.  Joseph was born I believe in Sussex in 1734 and I have a death date of 1804 but I have no verification of that at the moment.

Susanna MARCHANT nee MANSER was born in 1738, remarried and died in 1787.

I am descended from their daughter PHILADELPHIA MARCHANT b 1759 who married JOHN ELPHICK in St. Clements, Hastings Sussex in 1782.

John and Philadelphia’s (aka Phyllis) son James ELPHICK married Luctretia BLACKMAN and this couple emigrated to Australia (NSW) in 1839.

I was hoping to find out more on JOSEPH MARCHANT/MARCHEANT to see if there were any possible French (Huguenot?) connections that could be traced.  Any help very much appreciated.  Kindest regards Dianna from Australia

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph MARCHEANT (Marchant)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 21 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
    I’m doing research on the above  who  married Susanna MANSER in Pevensey Sussex in 1758.  Joseph was born I believe in Sussex in 1734 and I have a death date of 1804 but I have no verification of that at the moment.

Joseph Marchant
Age 65 (born c1739)
Burial 8th January 1804
St.Nicholas, Pevensey, Sussex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 21 10:17 BST (UK) »

Susanna MARCHANT nee MANSER was born in 1738, remarried and died in 1787.

I'm not clear on this statement?

I note they had 7 children at Pevensey between  1759 & 1780. Including below.

Susannah MARCHANT   Baptism   25 Jun 1769   Sussex   Pevensey : St Nicolas : Parish Register

Was it this Susanna that married in 1787?

Susanna MARCHANT   Burial age 67 - 27 Nov 1805 Sussex   Pevensey : St Nicolas : Parish Register

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 June 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Marcheant name, with variant spellings Marchent, Marchand, Marquand, Merchant and Le Marchant, derives from the Old French "marcheant" (Middle English "marchand"), meaning a merchant or trader,

Read more: https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Merchant#ixzz6yJpyKXHC

You could contact the society below.

https://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie and Col, thanks for your replies and information, good to have.

"Susanna MARCHANT nee MANSER was born in 1738, remarried and died in 1787".

Re this statement I'm not too sure who gave this to me so will have to follow up as I have not done this research in many years.  Does seem to be an error though!!!

Will start from scratch I think as there seems to be two Susannah's mother and daughter.  Looks like you have found the burial though of Susannah MARCHANT nee Manser just after her husband. 

Thanks for that.  Will need to follow up on the family if possible before I investigate the whole Huguenot story.  Thank you both.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
Merchant/Marchant was being used from at least the C14th by norman/flemmish/gascon immigrants (wine merchants from Bordeaux have long been part of English society). Some English born merchants would also then have used the name. Unless you have a specific reason to supect a Huguenot link it would be risky to assume which yours are.