Author Topic: Distance between abode locations in the family history.  (Read 484 times)

Offline gbottomley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Distance between abode locations in the family history.
« on: Thursday 24 June 21 14:51 BST (UK) »

I am finding several "potential" members of my Bottomley family from England.  Mainly weavers and laborers from the following areas listed below.  However, a few show a death or just potential parents who lived in Lancashire, United Kingdom.  I would think they didn't travel very far in the 1600's - 1800's.  Should I rule candidates out if they are too far away?

Dunkinfield, Chester County
Saddleworth
Elland
Huddersfield
Lancanster

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Distance between abode locations in the family history.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 June 21 15:19 BST (UK) »
Duplicate posting in Lancashire :D

See: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=850268
Where I have replied.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Dukinfield to Lancaster is just 60 miles.  They could walk it in three days or less; one day on horseback.  People walked across North America, for goodness sake. 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 June 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
Erato, That's about what I said in the other thread ;D

Great minds think alike, eh?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 June 21 17:29 BST (UK) »
By way of example, when my gggg-grandfather was discharged from the Continental Army in January 1778, his pay included 12 days to walk the 233 miles from Providence, Rhode Island to his home in Topsham, Maine.  So, he was expected to do 20 miles a day on bad roads in the middle of the winter.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 June 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
Reality is people travelled, to where work was, as they often lived in tied cottages belonging to their employer if there was no work or they got fired they were also without a home, so of course they travelled and some consistantly travelled to find work.

However it is not the 'travel distance' it is proving individual people who just happened to use the same surname are even somehow related and that comes down to real records and pre civil registration ( 1837) that is where you have the issue as detailed connecting records are hard to find...... as you might find in the same village "John Bottomley baptised on xx 1740" giving no connection to parents and later in the same village a marriage between "John Bottomley and Mary Kane married on xx 1765" is it the same John Bottomley being baptised and later married or not...could it be that ther are 4 John Bottomley living in the same village born around the same time, or an 'incomier' from elsewhere, you have no way of knowing if there is no details of connection,

Online there are trees of 'my ancestry' none that I have seen are correct as far as I can see they each have copied their tree from other online  trees and the first one just name hunted  to find a name that would fit what they wanted,
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend